Logo

92-94 Force 50 HP leaking water bottom of head by adapter plate

Sucker Fish

Hey all,
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed as I am sure that it has. I had a look through but could not find this issue specifically. I just bought this boat which is furnished with a Force 50 outboard. Best I can figure out is that it is between 1992 and 1994 ( SER# 0E017198 ). I noticed on my 1st ride out on the lake that water was leaking out of the bottom of the engine cowling. Upon closer inspection with a mirror while it was running, it looks to be either leaking from the head gasket or the adapter plate gasket. I ordered a head gasket and pulled the head off last night but would appear that the head gasket was in pretty good shape. My question is, is it possible for water to leak from the adapter plate? Thanks in advance for your time!

On my 85HP there was water streaming out down low on the port side near the rear of the engine. Thought at first it might be the adapter plate but turned out to be the exhaust port cover which had literally rotted from the inside near the bottom. When I removed the cover the bottom portion crumbled into pieces. A new exhaust port cover and gaskets fixed it.

Thanks for the info. I took the engine apart. It was the gasket between the engine and adapter plate. FYI don't buy the online manual off this site from seloc. I bought one to find torque spec and sequence for this procedure, but the manual has no useful info in it. Super disappointing.

Yup Seloc and Clymer suck.
Look on eBay for a factory manual.
Get something close to the years as motors made after 95
are really different.

Back