Logo

No spark, looking for help!

mitchij

Hi everyone, first time posting and I'm looking to get some troubleshooting feedback for the issue I'm having. Quick rundown as follows:

I have a 1997 24' CC I/O Edelbrock Performer GM 350 small block that was put in service in 2015, powering a 97' Volvo Penta DP-S outdrive. I understand the engine isn't volvo but it has a lot of similarities so if this post doesn't belong in this section then I can transition to a different place but I figured I'd start here.

Took the boat out for the first time in several months, she did not like idle speed. Wanted to die as soon as RPMs were low enough. Was fine cruising around 20 knots. I went too slow for a section and it died and could not get it going again. Towed back to the ramp and trailered it home. I suspected old bad fuel was the culprit so I changed my fuel filter as well as water block separator that I had installed previously. Also poured seafoam in the tank and some carb cleaner in the carb. Boat started instantly in my driveway and seemed happy, would idle no problem. I let the boat idle while I went inside to eat. Came back out after 20 minutes and the boat was no longer running. Temp gauge was still at 180 so I know it didn't overheat. Tried to start it again and nothing. No coughing or struggle to start, just the starter going, going, going.

After checking I found I have no spark at the plugs. I put in a new ignition coil, I have 10.5v on the + terminal and 1.8v on the - terminal which from what I have read online is normal?

I've checked continuity in my coil lead to the distributor cap and that is good. Checked continuity of spark plug wires which is also good. I removed the distributor cap, didn't find any burning. Minor corrosion that I cleaned with a wire brush. Turned the engine over with the distributor cap off and saw it spinning so I know the rotor didn't break apart or anything. I don't know how else to determine if a distributor has gone bad, was hoping someone on here could give me some ideas to keep troubleshooting.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to give everyone all the info that I have at the moment. Thank you for your help.

Best advise that I can offer would be to use the P of E..... (process of elimination).
Check/test/replace one item only at a time.

Your spark should be whitish/blue and it should make a "snap" as it fires.

Back