Logo

interesting find while diagnosing an overheat condition

chs

Contributing Member
this boat came to me with an overheat condition, new manifolds and risers, new impeller assy, new thermostat and new sensors. after pulling the water feed hose going to the intake, i found some but not alot of water flowing @ idle then when upping the RPMS, the water flow cut down drasticly. i pulled the drive fr inspection checked the intake hoses for blockage, split the drive and rechecked the impeller unit( fine as expected but put a new impeller in just the same) i was a bit stumped, then while running it on muffs, noticed a lot of water coming from the shift lever area on the gimbal. also when running it, and inspectiing the engine compartment, noticed drips of water coming from the shift cable assy.. WHAT THE HECK?? boroscope inspection found water filling up that area and flowing out . i pulled the drive again and inspected the area andeverything looked ok, then i looked at the drive itself and the water jacket area looked a bit worn but nothing too bad,.... i thought... then realized the mating surface on the drive itself is flat, the whole face of the drive is all flat, no indent for the o ring, the indent is only on the gimbal helmet and that donesnt look to healthy either.
so, new upper unit being delivered today... we shall see how things go. ill update when i have more info

AH CRAP , i was distracted in the middle of writing this post and did not proofread it, what i meant to say was

"i pulled the drive again and inspected the area and everything looked ok, then i looked at the drive itself and the water jacket area looked a bit worn but nothing too bad,....SO i thought... then realized the mating surface on the drive itself is supposed TO BE flat, the whole face of the drive is SUPPPOSED TO BE all flat, no indent (RELIEF) for the o ring, the RELIEF is only on the gimbal helmet and that doesnt look to healthy either.
so, new upper unit being delivered today... we shall see how things go. ill update when i have more info"

i hope that clears thing up chris

Back