Logo

Mating a 87+ 260 to a 85 sterndrive

Distein

I picked up a 87 Chevy 350(1 piece rear main) that was an inboard to replace my 85 omc 260 (2 piece rear main)sterndrive. Found the coupler and flywheel(since it's an inboard) to be different. Before I dump more money into this project buying random parts I think will fit can someone help me out with some confirmation this is possible. I've found the Sierra 18-2172 coupler which seems to mate the two and then I would just need a sterndrive flywheel. Is that correct if not can someone help me out with some part numbers?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've found the Sierra 18-2172 coupler which seems to mate the two and then I would just need a sterndrive flywheel. Is that correct if not can someone help me out with some part numbers?

Ayuh,..... Sierra does make such a coupler, 'n that's probably the number,.....

Ya just need a Chevy flywheel, for a standard transmission,..... Nothin' "Marine" 'bout it,....

FYI..... you will be spending good money and valuable time resurrecting a boat with an outdated and problematic OMC Stringer Drive.

If you love the boat, you may want to consider in-filling the transom opening, and then going with a conventional stern drive.
One of the easiest installations would be an AQ series Volvo Penta stern drive in the 1.61:1 reduction.
Just a thought.

Back