Logo

2013 evinrude 200 wont go above idle

miff2020

I have a 2013 200hp (small block) and at times when i put it in gear and try to accelorate it just stays at idle. After moving throttle several times it will operate normal. I have cleaned the throttle bodies and still have same condition.

Do you have a check engine light? Have you confirmed the throttle plates are moving with the cable? If everything is working mechanically, then it sounds like you could have an issue with your TPS. I'm not certain on your motor, but most TPS are 3-wire and work on +5volt. You can back probe the sensor wires and find your ground and +5volt feed and the 3rd wire should be your voltage signal to the EMM.

Here's the shade tree method: I'm not sure if this will work with the ignition in the ON position without the engine running or if you need to have the engine running to get +5volt to the sensor. Put your volt meter on a good ground then back probe your TPS signal wire. With the engine running (or maybe just ON position) you should be able to move the throttle linkage and see a change in voltage. If you have a good +5volt on the power wire but no change on the signal wire then it's pretty safe to say you have a bad TPS.

If you have access to the correct cable, laptop, and software you can just plug it in and the engine will tell you what's happening.

KJ

Back