Logo

Prop Question

Have a question on prop size and what direction I should go. I have a 2005 Honda 225 on my Robalo walk around. Currently I have been using a Solas 15 5/8 x 11 prop. I am running at about 6500’ asl. It usually planes alright with just two of us in the boat with a full tank and gear. But when I add two or three more people I can get the rpm’s initially on start up around 4000-4200 and that is where it will stop until I Hit a wave that allows the boat to Finally hit the power curve and then it will plane. As I do not have a boat shop that allows me to borrow different sized props, any suggestions on what direction I should go? Maybe 4 blade? I appreciate all of the advice I have received in the past. Other than this issue, it has ran great.

I have found despite what the books all say, that a smaller diameter prop works much better on a 225 gearcase. I would be tempted to try a 14 1/4 X 15 and see how it goes. Either way tho, it seems your boat is fairly under powered given the prop you are currently running. I ran this prop on a 720 walk around, it was no rocket ship but it did have acceptable performance. You didn't say what model of Robalo ypu have, that would help.

I'm running a 14.25 X 15 on my 2007 BF 225 mounted on a 25' C-Hawk (with modified V hull) that weighs 6,000 lbs when fully loaded with fuel and gear and up to four adults. It goes on plane at 3,800 rpm, although it will take a minute or two to get up. It easily sustains plane at 4,000 rpm.

Back