Logo

Alpha one, gen 1

Herb 55

Greetings:
newbe here, but not new to boating..
I just rebuilt a 5.7 260HP alpha one in a 1986 Crestliner..Everything works great, but I have no "throttle only" on the control box.
The button doesn't seem to move.

Does anyone know what the replacement box is?..I see they are NLA
I'd like to find box I can use without replacing the cables if possible.
I've been looking on ebay, but nothing so far.

Thanx

What control do you have, is it a Mercury or an aftermarket one. Also what type control is it, side mount/panel mount? Some you had to pull the handle out to get throttle only. Some you push a round or sq. button to get it to throttle only. Behind the button, there is a plastic rod that goes through the box which makes it work. The end will break off causing it not to work.

Lin842 Thank you for the reply.

my control is a side mount quicksilver type..Square button..The one with both the trailer and trim switch in it.
squarish.
If I can figure out this forum's tools, I'll post a pic.
Unless I can find another one like this, I'm afraid I may have to replace the whole thing..I've been looking for another...at least for parts.
Mercury customer service is of no help.
Thanx

Not sure, but I think that control uses Gen 2 cables so your's probably wont work. You should be able to still get the parts to fix the old one.

Looked at wrong part on Amazon. the TEL CHX8052P will take OEM as well as 3300 type cables so yours should work fine.

Last edited:
Herb 55
If have not thrown away the original control box I would like it.
There are some parts I need for one I am working on (not your issue) and it would be nice to get one to scavenge parts from.

Let me know if you can send it my way.

Thanks

Hi Jack
Pm me with your email, and I'll send pics of what I have. Then u can tell me if u want it.
I had to bend/break one of the brackets to get a cable off, but it would be good for parts if u have another one.
Thanx

Back