Logo

df 175 c/r, Lower unit gearing

lsutigerturner

story:
on the way back from fishing all day about 1 mile outside the pass and the motor started going to a limp mode or something just real low RPM in comparison to the other motor, so i killed the motor jiggled the throttle a bit in fwd and reverse no problem then started motor back up. well the counter rotation motor throttle would not go into drive only reverse... so again killed the motor and played with the throttle back in forth from fwd to reverse with engine off, and it was stuck this time would go into reverse but not forward...i walk to back of boat mess with engine and my buddy begins messing with the throttle and i believe he jammed it into fwd snapping the the cable clip... in short the motor could not find neutral again and would not start this time.

so pretty risky limped back to launch about a 2.5 hour drive at 12mph really crappy

pulled boat and was attempting to flush motors and i couldnt get motor to find neutral by ensuring the little pully switch was actually in neutral by hand the prop was still locked but would spin with some force and you could hear damage internally.

so i pulled the bearing carrier and dropped the unit, pulled the gears and upon inspection the dog clutch spring retainer had popped off or fallen off and gotten bound up in the gearing causing a tooth to break and get bound up. So i bought new gear set, seals, and drive shaft nut.

i got mostly everything reinstalled yesterday and was feeling like this was way to damn easy so i popped open the manual and sure enough i may need to do some things. so help me please

manual says i need to GEAR SHIM AND CHECK BACKLASH.... WTH
1. i need help i think. so if yall have easier ways to do this tell me and please explain...

2. if i can get away without having some of these tools please fill me in on alternative pieces?

imo these are kinda what i need but am gunna try and buy through a dif company so please fill me in on some alternate items i can buyinstead of this over priced stuff the stuff with the dash i am preparing to buy but is there alternative parts then the suzuki stuff its crazy for the price

it seems i need these tools
-#11 09900-20602Dial gauge (summit racing$20)
-#12 09900-20701Magnetic stand (summit racing $20)
#13 09900-20803Thickness gauge (do i need this? Suzuki)
#20 09913-50121Oil seal remover (dont need)
-#21 09951-09310Gear adjust springset ( i need this for some reason for the counter rotation lower why is this not needed on the othermotor? is ther an alternative to $340 suzuki part?)
#22 09921-29410Driveshaft holder ( dont need)
#50 09930-30104Sliding hammer (dont need)
#51 09930-30161Propeller shaftremover ( i didnt use this to take it off should i have should i buy one?)
#52 09926-29310Driveshaft housingremover (dont need but it could make things easier? is it worth it?)
#53 09951-99310Gear holder ( i feel like i need this but do i really?)
#64 09950-69512Gearcase oil leakagetester (need this or something similar, recomendations?)
- #65 09951-09511Gear adjustinggauge (suzuki $470, there has to be a alternative part for this recomendations?)
- #66 09952-09310Back lash indicator tool ($90 need this from suzuki right?)

just trying to save some money and ensure the money i already spent isnt gunna go to waste. i plan on doing the other lower unit when this one is purring again.. thank you for any and all advice and pointers

Last edited:
Do you know how to use stuff called ------Mechanics blue.----Or Prussian blue.-----Tool makers blue .----Various names for stuff that will insure proper tooth contact.------Could be time consuming / frustrating / needs the right technique to get results.

Do you know how to use stuff called ------Mechanics blue.----Engineers blue.------Tool makers blue .----Various names for stuff that will insure proper tooth contact.------Could be time consuming / frustrating / needs the right technique to get results.

Last edited:
i bought some last night i dont think it will be that hard. it had tooth bite recommended wear marks in the user manual. what i believe you are telling me to do is get the right bite marks and call it good? this is what my friend is telling me to do... just unsure about how important the other parts of the shimming process is and the tools that i can get away without buying. really upset about the need for this $300+ spring that only the Counter rotation motor uses??? #21. like wtfspecial tools 16-34.PNG 2 pictures

.tooth pattern.PNGtooth pattern 2.PNG

Outboard lower units are much more complex than some folks realize.----Gears are small compared to gears in say a pick-up truck rear axle !----If you understand how gears work you can do this without special tools.-----Tools are factory / shop time savers where time + money.-----Working at home on your own motor is different.-----And no need to get upset about factory tool pricing either.

great thank you
How recently have you done this and what do you think about the part/tool #21 in relation to the counter rotation Lower unit? am i going to need to cough that up i dont really understand the need for it i feel like its just to ensure it pops back out? can buy any large compression spring at ace or similar hardware store and make it work? really stumping me on why the counter rotation needs it and the clockwise rotation does not need it.

i am looking at buying cheap versions of these parts

Also are you serious i do not need any of these tools at all? im gunna check the mating surface today and see what it looks like just nervous bc i have not done this yet and i spent more then i thought on the lower already
11. aftermarket summit racing
12. aftermarket summit racing
13. any gauge and caliper will work to order correct shimms correct?
21. i need to buy from suzuki or do i need any old compression spring?
65. aftermarket prob summit racing
66. can i use the Honda or tatsu part that is only like half pricebacklash 1.PNGbacklash 2.PNGbacklash 3.PNGbacklash 4.PNGbacklash 6.PNG

man thank you so much!!

lol im just gunna buy a compression spring and cut it down since all its doing is pressing out

im still gunna get the other tools i will be able to use them on other motor

Back