Logo

Chrysler M440 Leaking Water out of the flywheel Port

brl96

I have a chrysler 440 that did get some freeze damage. I had a couple freeze plug pop off. I did get water in the oil. I pulled the heads and inspected everything I could from the top. I replaced the heads and restarted the engine. It started fine and I am not getting any oil in the water. When running off the garden hose, I was getting water being slung from the flywheel window in the bell housing. It was a large amount of water.

Does anyone have any ideas. Are there freeze plugs back there I need to check.

I have a chrysler 440 that did get some freeze damage. I had a couple freeze plug pop off. I did get water in the oil. I pulled the heads and inspected everything I could from the top. I replaced the heads and restarted the engine. It started fine and I am not getting any oil in the water. When running off the garden hose, I was getting water being slung from the flywheel window in the bell housing. It was a large amount of water.

Does anyone have any ideas. Are there freeze plugs back there I need to check.

They're not really functional "freeze out plugs" They are access holes cast into the block to allow cleanout of the sand casting used to define the hollow spaces in the block... The fact that they sometimes pop out when the block freezes is serendipity and NO GUARANTEE that the block itself is not cracked..

Last edited:
Back