Logo

Yamaha 90hp 4 Stroke Losing Battery Power

Marc Gaskins

A couple trips ago I took the boat out, go to landing, boat wouldn't crank. Took it home, hooked it up to a battery charger, 20 mins later it cranks. Took the boat out that day and the next for 4-5 hours each time. No problems. This past trip, I test the battery at the shop where I keep the boat....nothing. To be fair, I don't use the boat as much as I should, but these batteries shouldn't be dying that quick. I use the battery's manual shut off each time too. It's part of my checklist when cleaning up.

So, I hook it up to the battery charger, 20 mins later it cranks. Take it to the landing, back it down, it cranks after a try or two. Not as powerful as when we were at the shop 10 mins prior, though. We have power, and we motor to a beach not too far away from landing. Like, half a mile away. I was nervous something was going to go wrong. I took a battery jump pack with me, just in case. I also have TowBoat. Best $189 I spend last year. I needed them this day. Long story short, get to the beach, turn off engine (after running for 20 mins), & it never would crank again. Hooked up the jump pack and it wouldn't give enough juice to fire it up. It allowed for the trim tabs on the motor to work, but not start. Tow Boat Captain said he thinks its the alternator. The battery is a good battery, less than a year old. I had it tested at West Marine. What could be draining my battery so fast?

Thanks in advance.
Marc

All battery connections must be clean and tight. There are at least two on the battery,two on the selector switch,and two on the motor.
Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?
If west marine checked your battery good why did it not crank your motor?

Back