Logo

squeaking BF20D at idle

What happens if you run it without the cover on? I've had trouble with seating the forward "hook" properly on my cover when putting it back on.

What happens if you run it without the cover on? I've had trouble with seating the forward "hook" properly on my cover when putting it back on.

Pretty sure cover was properly in place but will try with it off.
Thanks!
Is the powerhead on rubber mounts with transom bracket? Sprayed WD40 everywhere without improvements.

The powerhead bolts directly into the oil case. The oil case is attached to the mount frame on two, almost square, hard rubber bushings and clamped to the mount frame with metal "straps" and bolts. WD 40 sprayed up around those bushings would probably provide a temporary reduction in squeaking if they were the cause and wouldn't hurt anything. So, good call on your part to try that.

You may want to try tightening your swivel friction lever to see if that makes any difference. These twins do have a harmonic vibration when running that can set up a sort of shimmying motion. If the swivel friction setting is real loose it could allow the outboard to "dance" in a rapid, horizontal manner. That might cause a squeak.

Still interested in what happens when the hood is removed.

Let us know.

The powerhead bolts directly into the oil case. The oil case is attached to the mount frame on two, almost square, hard rubber bushings and clamped to the mount frame with metal "straps" and bolts. WD 40 sprayed up around those bushings would probably provide a temporary reduction in squeaking if they were the cause and wouldn't hurt anything. So, good call on your part to try that.

You may want to try tightening your swivel friction lever to see if that makes any difference. These twins do have a harmonic vibration when running that can set up a sort of shimmying motion. If the swivel friction setting is real loose it could allow the outboard to "dance" in a rapid, horizontal manner. That might cause a squeak.

Still interested in what happens when the hood is removed.

Let us know.

Thanks for great insight & suggestions.
I keep the swivel adjustment pretty tight so likely not that but will retighten.
Will liberally spray WD40 in mount location you identify.
And double check if removing cover helps.
Mask up & stay well!
Here in Canada we are appalled by America's plight.

Back