Logo

Johnson 130 Charging/Tach Issue

Thrillbilly77

2000 Johnson 130hp
J130PSSSS

The tach died on this the other day. I looked around and performed this test.

Remove that gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

After jumping the grey to yellow the tach worked so I condemned the voltage regulator. I ordered the part from CDI, installed it and nothing changed. Tach is still dead. Only charging at 12.6 at idle, and up to 12.9 at somewhere around 2000 RPM. Possible I got a bad part from CDI, or so I need to look in a different direction?

[h=1][/h]

2000 Johnson 130hp
J130PSSSS

The tach died on this the other day. I looked around and performed this test.
Remove that gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

After jumping the grey to yellow the tach worked so I condemned the voltage regulator. I ordered the part from CDI, installed it and nothing changed. Tach is still dead. Only charging at 12.6 at idle, and up to 12.9 at somewhere around 2000 RPM. Possible I got a bad part from CDI, or so I need to look in a different direction?

Unplugged and re plugged the harness...... now it works.

Back