Logo

78 6hp evinrude fuel connection

bigjohnson

Regular Contributor
Bought a 6hp the other day for $40 and got it running perfect.
Anyway I noticed the fuel connection on the motor (where the fuel goes in) does not have a spring loaded check valve. It's just a straight tube. The ones I have seen in the past all had some kind of spring loaded valve. Is this supposed to be that way?
How do you keep the fuel from draining out?

The connection on these motors never had a valve from the factory------1960 to 1995 models 6 hp and up to 140 hp .----There is an o-ring in the hose connecter.------Not sure what kind of motors you were looking at that had a valve there.

The connection on these motors never had a valve from the factory------1960 to 1995 models 6 hp and up to 140 hp .----There is an o-ring in the hose connecter.------Not sure what kind of motors you were looking at that had a valve there.

My '84 6hp has valve in the fuel connection on the engine. Cannot access it well enough to photograph it at the moment but it has a wee pin sticking out of the fuel connection which is pressed in to open the valve when the fuel line is connected.

It looks like the one in this picture from the parts section of this site
0438793.jpg

So on my motor when I disconnect the tank hose from the motor the fuel left in the motor hose will drain out, correct.
Unless I keep the tank hose connected at all times???

Right. A little gas with 3 percent oil in it won't hurt anything. Turn motor to let it drop in the boat and it will evaporate.

Precisely. My 1997 6HP has the spring valve, and my 1965 6HP doesn't. But what isn't there can't malfunction... I vote for the older system, without the spring. ;)

Ha! Great innovation. Got my first outboard, used as a boy, guiding for 54 years in NW Ontario.....1965 Fisherman (6). Probably 4000 hrs. on it.....last 40 years Amsoil at 64:1. Still drink the water from the Manitou Lake. Fishing better than ever.....more boats than ever. Don't think it hurt much.

Back