Logo

1991 454XL's - What brand oil do you use?

I've heard recommendations for Shell Rotella T 15W40 but that says for Diesel Engines on the label.

I've also been told Valvoline VR1 for it's higher zinc content (older flat tappet engines like this).

Curious what brand everyone uses?

Mobil 1 full synthetic has been fine for us, for a few decades now...

I also run M1 full synthetic in my marine engines, generally 10w40w, unless they get tired and start losing pressure, then I switch to 10w50w. However, I am considering switching to Rotella for my flat tappet cam motors, for the added zinc. What do you think?

We went thru break in and while charter fishing racked up hours pretty fast....after discussion with the knowledge base, opt'ed for the M1 and kept it in for the full season just changing the filters at the OEM intervals and topping off the crankcase. Did the major rebuilt at the 3100 hour point...machinist could not believe they were boat engines due to minimal wear. Never added any zinc supplement.....

1995 454xls. Use Delo straight 40w. Same as makomark, when rebuilds were done, everything looked great except for the salt water on top of the pistons

Back