Logo

Need help bad with this recoil.

George606

Hi everyone, I have been trying to repair a 1997 BF9-9A 9.9HP Four Stroke recoil assembly. The recoil rope would not rewind and I found the problem. The trouble now is I can’t figure out the correct positioning of these parts.Ive tried assembling it every which way and when I attach the unit to the flywheel the rope pulls out but won’t retract.
5eb8ba58-33e9-413d-9c4a-45694a32536f

Attachments

• FB69B5A7-6481-4EEC-ABC7-A391392D108C.jpeg
    FB69B5A7-6481-4EEC-ABC7-A391392D108C.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
All I can tell you is that you must not have the coiled spring wound up properly.

This thing is basically a big old spring wound up tight when you pull the rope.

The "ratchet" (overrunning clutch) is a real pain to reassemble while keeping the spring from losing it's "precoil" tension.

You stated "found the problem" but didn't say what it was.....?

I haven't "rewound" one of these for quite some time and hope I never need to do another one. Keep after it and hold your tongue in your cheek just "so" and you'll get it.

Hi and thank you for the reply. The initial problem was the spring you mentioned. I’ve recoiled it an with the unit off of the flywheel the cord pulls and retracts freely. Once I install the unit the pull cord is very difficult to pull and won’t recoil. I’ve tried disassembling it and reassembling it many different ways to no avail. It works fine off the unit but if I install it it doesn’t work. I’m thinking I’ve got some of the parts in the wrong way perhaps. The silver metal catch or the spring beside it or the clip on the friction plate??? Does that clip on the underside of the plate have to be positioned a certain way???
The small spring on the silver metal catch lever! Does it hook to the outer or inner side of the metal catch piece.
I can’t find an assembly diagram anywhere.

Well, it sounds like you have the ratchet in wrong to me. I'll look through my books and see if I can upload something that might help you.

Thanks! I think I have found what the problem was! The ratchet was extending on the pull but hanging open because the clip underneath the friction plate was kind of grabbing and hooking the other end of the ratchet device preventing it from swinging back, thus keeping the ratchet extended. I’ll fit it on the engine tomorrow hopefully.
I squeezed the clip ends closer together and it seems ok now.
I will let you know!
Thanks again!

Well, that's pretty much what has happened to me everytime I have messed with one of these pull starters. You keep "futzing" with it until it works. A true PITA!
But, hopefully, your perserverance pays off. It usually does!

Let’s hope so!! Hey! I’m also looking for the gear the sits atop the electric starter motor. My engine is a 1997 Honda BF9-9A 9.9 Four Stroke. I can’t find it on the internet as of yet. Any ideas?

Back