Logo

1976 85 HP Evinrude Water Pump Help

Brandon Brock

I'm trying to change the water pump on my 1976 85HP Evinrude. The kit I ordered came with 2 parts that I'm not sure where they go. It's also missing a gasket that goes under the wear plate. I saw a couple videos where the small o-ring goes under the wear plate on the shaft; however, I was thinking it goes on the top of the shaft. I have no idea where the metal ring goes because I didn't see one when I removed the old parts! I have a repair manual, but it's very nonspecific about all this. Does anyone know for sure where the 2 rings go and is it okay to put this all together without a gasket under the wear plate? I also haven't been able to get the impeller to slide down over the woodruff key, but I'm going to work on filing the key a little and see if that helps. Any other tips?

IMG_20200715_083355.jpgIMG_20200715_083427.jpg

Thanks again! The old one was in so snug that I thought it was part of the whole piece and didn't realize it could be removed. After reading your reply, I got it out a couple minutes ago with a lot of persuasion lol. Now, I'll just have to try to file down the drive key to get the impeller on. I guess I flattened the key hammering it into place.

Looks like some pitting on the shaft under the impeller. Make sure it hasn't caused trouble with the seal, or shaft surface AT the seal. Water pressure from pump can introduce water at this point into the lower unit. This is a common problem especially with older Mercury outboards not using stainless steel driveshafts.

Last edited:
Back