Logo

2002 225 mercury 225 optimax oil pump question

Tonycal

I have twin 2002 225 optimaxs on my boat . I noticed one uses way more oil then the other . I found one oil pump was leaking . I replaced the pump now when I turn the key the alarm goes off saying oil pump failed I put another oil pump in same thing . If I start it then it goes into limp mode and I shut it right down . I read that you have to bleed the air out of the system and bleed the pump . Anyone have any advice for me on how to do so . They marinas by me are so busy some are not making appointments and the ones that are are 4 weeks out 😰

I do believe there is a manual bleed you can do to the oil pump.
Squeeze the primer bulb till its hard
Turn the ignition to on
Within the first10 seconds after the key switch is turn to on.
Move the remote control handle from. Neutral into forward gear 3 to 5 times
This will automatically start the priming process
Then you will hear the oil pump prime
Just let it prime till it stops. Then turn ignition

Last edited:
hello I tired this about 20 times but the oil pump never runs when I do it I don’t hear anything .

I do believe there is a manual bleed you can do to the oil pump.
Squeeze the primer bulb till its hard
Turn the ignition to on
Within the first10 seconds after the key switch is turn to on.
Move the remote control handle from. Neutral into forward gear 3 to 5 times
This will automatically start the priming process
Then you will hear the oil pump prime
Just let it prime till it stops. Then turn ignition

I am not to sure if it worked or not . I didn’t hear the oil pump making any noise . Am I supposed to hear the oil pump make noise while it’s priming ?
Also the fuel pump did not run should the fuel pump run for a little while when you put it into break in mode ?

QUOTE=faztbullet;689868]It should have worked and you need to check electrical connections. If it did work it now in break-in mode ....[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back