Logo

Bf250 won't start

Calicoastie

New here. I've got a bf250 less then 500hrs. Thing won't start. Sounds like the starter is going bad. Cleaned up the starter. New batteries(twice), charged batteries. Cleaned cables. Replaced starter with New starter.

Cranked over engine on flywheel. Pulled all plugs, engine over top of a cylinder, starter will ever so slowly turn the engine over. 1 second, maybe a touch longer.

At my wits end. My friends won't answer my calls any more.

I just want to get on the water.

Suggestions? Honda dealer is 2.5 months out.

Thanks

First get a multimeter and measure the voltage on the starter solenoid stud during actual cranking, or attempted cranking. If voltage drops to less than 10 volts you will need to find where the voltage drop is occurring, remember to check the negative side too. If voltage holds up you need to check and see if the engine turns freely with all spark plugs removed.Let me know the results and I will make further suggestions

Human error, I missed a negative cable, everyone missed a negative cable. I hooked up the batteries wrong and missed a cable. Looks like I have to change a water pump though.

A simple over sight, funny how people often concentrate on the pos and forget they need a good neg too. Glad you got it cranking anyway

Hey team I’ve just had zip wake installed and now my Honda 250 won’t fire it was fine and running the day I took it in and now it’s not . Would the zip wake installation have anything to do with it ?

Check the obvious like lanyard switch. Zip wake units should have nothing to do with the engine wiring or operation

Maybe a ground wire got unhooked at the battery…. I missed one when reinstalling my batteries a while back. It had slipped back out of sight behind the batteries. Agree with Ian, it is likely something obvious that is hiding in plain sight.

Back