Logo

97 force 120 prop size

DustyNachos

I have 120 HP force rated at 5250 RPM. My current prop is three blade laser2 22 pitch. I’m not sure what my WOT rpm is *exactly* but it’s somewhere about 5500. I’m planning to change props but my issue is a very slow hole shot. Will a three blade prop with less pitch fix the hole shot as well as the RPM? I’m also considering a four blade. Thanks. Boat is 98 nitro 185 F&S. Mainly used for two person trolling but occasionally have full capacity.

Last edited:
The Laser 22p isn't what I'd call a "fishing" prop??
Yours stainless or aluminum?

You need to know "exactly" what the rpm's are to figure out the right prop.
They sell a small portable tach, called a Tiny Tach
Just hook it to the first plug wire and go for a ride.

I'm not a prop expert but a 19p would probably give a better hole shot and better economy??
Contact Michigan Propeller they have a prop finder service.
Or contact the manufacturer of the boat(if they're still in business) they should be able to tell what you need?

The Laser 22p isn't what I'd call a "fishing" prop??
Yours stainless or aluminum?

You need to know "exactly" what the rpm's are to figure out the right prop.
They sell a small portable tach, called a Tiny Tach
Just hook it to the first plug wire and go for a ride.

I'm not a prop expert but a 19p would probably give a better hole shot and better economy??
Contact Michigan Propeller they have a prop finder service.
Or contact the manufacturer of the boat(if they're still in business) they should be able to tell what you need?

ok. Wot was 5700 rpm. I’m getting a hydrofoil today to see what that does. But I think I want a 4 blade prop and not the foil. Since I’m running over my rpm that means I need to go to a bigger pitch right? I have a 22P on now. I’m also thinking this should increase my top end slightly but that may be wishful thinking. Any help is appreciated.

Normal operating range is probably 53-5500
So going up in size should get(maybe) a little more speed.
A 23p should do?

You try Michigan Propeller, Solas Props?
iboatshas a prop forum, maybe they can help?

I have a big Force prop, 3 blade stainless. Will check the size and see what my table shows. It's not new but very nice condition. 4 blade may give a better launch, but I have noticed they may not be as economical in the long run.

Back