Logo

volvo penta aq131d engine removal

insainsnowman

I just purchased an 85 bayliner capri . the engine is seized so I'm pulling it for rebuild. I have removed all the accessories, starter and all the bolts from the bell housing but the engine will not come out. do I have to remove the back side of the bell housing (small end) from the outdrive? any tips or tricks will help. also I have everything disconnected so the outdrive is in the up position.

If the bell housing is completely undone, the engine should slide forward and off the drive shaft. It is doesn't, it could be corroded on.

I just purchased an 85 bayliner capri . the engine is seized so I'm pulling it for rebuild. I have removed all the accessories, starter and all the bolts from the bell housing but the engine will not come out. do I have to remove the back side of the bell housing (small end) from the outdrive? any tips or tricks will help. also I have everything disconnected so the outdrive is in the up position.

In the Marine world, what you're calling a bell housing is actually a flywheel cover..... aka F/C.

Inside of the flywheel cover will be a Borg Warner drive coupler, a PDS (primary drive shaft) and a PDS pilot nose bearing in the crankshaft.
The PDS splines into the drive coupler via Borg Warner splines.
With all bolts removed, if you are not able to separate the engine from the flywheel cover, it's likely that the B/W splines are rusty and/or the pilot nose is stuck in the crankshaft bearing.

Whether the drive is UP or DOWN, the engine should release from the F/C.

If the PDS splines are rusty, there are several things that can be done:

...... remove the transmission ONLY, and then shock the PDS with a fairly heavy bronze or copper hammer. Shocking it may release the rust hold.

...... bore a 1" or 1-1/4" access hole in the F/C as to gain access to the drive coupler and PDS splines. Spray these with PB Blaster or similar, then repeat the hammer thing.

..... if unsuccessful, sacrifice the F/C by any means that is suitable. The 4 banger F/Cs are a dime a dozen.

Here's one for $82.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/832763-Fly...685854?hash=item3370bbc49e:g:ndAAAOxy-HtRY8BF

AQ series FC and PDS rusty spline issues.jpg

Last edited:
awesome, thank you. I will continue to try and get them separated. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to pull off the outdrive.

If for some reason you do end up removing the drive, pull the transmission ONLY at first.
Then if you need to remove further components, do so after the transmission has been removed.

When going back together, do the reverse of this.... transmission last.

All O-rings must be replaced. OEM is best.

Back