Logo

Asking price for a 3.7 488 185 HP

Rod Roberts

What would be a good asking price for a 3.7 488 MerCruiser? Closed cooing system complete and power steering.
The hour meter states 432 hours and its working last time out it was at 421.
Engine runs, no issues except it wasn't charging but after pulled the engine I found the fuse block on the starter going to the stater rusted and you can tell it got hot. Engine looks good, clean an 82 model year. Will start and run on the ground. I need it out of my way.

What would be a good asking price for a 3.7 488 MerCruiser? Closed cooing system complete and power steering.
The hour meter states 432 hours and its working last time out it was at 421.
Engine runs, no issues except it wasn't charging but after pulled the engine I found the fuse block on the starter going to the stater rusted and you can tell it got hot. Engine looks good, clean an 82 model year. Will start and run on the ground. I need it out of my way.

$100 to $1000 depending on local market. Wasn't a well liked engine and not used for 30 years so all about who's looking for one to keep a family heirloom alive in your neighbourhood because no one's going to pay to have it shipped.

I agree with hystat.

These were Merc's own designed engine using the Ford 460 cylinder head.
The rather large displacement allowed these to produce good torque.
In my opinion, the intake manifold being on Stbd side with the exhaust on Port side was was an advantage.

However, they were plagued with issues:
...Their unique crankshaft charging system would fail.
...The camshaft drives the coolant circulating pump and shars a seal between the two, causing this area to be problematic.
...The cover in this area is known to warp and cause issues.
...The list goes on.
...They lived a short production life due to these issues.

If it was mine, I’d accept the first reasonable offer.

Last edited:
Years ago, when I was innocent as a new born lamb, I nearly bought a boat with TWO of these boat anchors in it!

By the grace of...

Jeff

Back