Logo

1998 50spl J50TSLECC

Convincer253

I am in need of some help trying to figure out what the heck is going on with this motor. I have had it since new on my pontoon and has never given any problems. Compression is 120-125. Its a 50 hp so its no speed demon and not used like its one. With that said I do a lot of "putting" around on our river. When I first go out, motor starts and idles as its supposed to...water pressure is about 18-20psi while putting around. No problems at all, no alarms from systems check gauge, all is fine. Then after about 2 hours of "putting" around, I try to accelerate and it revs to about 2-2500 rpms and that's it. It is like is has no power. Everything is still smooth with the motor, it just has no power. Put it in neutral and it revs up just fine. Put back in gear and same thing, no power. So heck with it , I throw the anchor and do some fishing. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour goes by. Starts right up all is fine and has all of its power back like nothing is wrong and away I go. Revs right up to 5-5200 rpms and doesn't miss a beat. This has happened to me a few times this year. I have the service manual and cant seem to figure out what's wrong. Fuel system has been gone thru from the tank to the motor. I have trouble shot some of the things but it is a little confusing and this doesn't do it every time I go out. I have changed the power pack as of now and its still acting the same. I don't want to just start throwing parts to it before I ask for some help. Does anyone have an idea on when to start looking. Motor does not have a thermostat in it. it was taken out by my local Johnson dealer who sold me the boat and motor new and he has since passed away. I'm not sure why it was taken out either, but could this be the problem or part of the problem. Like I said...this thing has never given me any fits ever, and I cant seem to duplicate this problem when on the trailer on running on the muffs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First thing I would do is a new water pump impeller and thermostat.-----How warm / cold is the water in the river ?----Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" on both leads , yes or no ?----It does sound like running on one cylinder when it acts up.

First thing I would do is a new water pump impeller and thermostat.-----How warm / cold is the water in the river ?----Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" on both leads , yes or no ?----It does sound like running on one cylinder when it acts up.

I will try a new impellar and put a tstat in it....our river temo right now bbn is 82 to 85 degrees...we have had 90 degree weather for the 3rd week in a row....i will also tey pulling the plug wire and see if it jumps the gap as you have asked....if it doesn...?

I will try a new impellar and put a tstat in it....our river temo right now bbn is 82 to 85 degrees...we have had 90 degree weather for the 3rd week in a row....i will also tey pulling the plug wire and see if it jumps the gap as you have asked....if it doesn...?

Since i have to order a tstat and impellar kit...i wanna try and check the gap as you have stated to see if if can jump a 7/16 gap. 1st......What is the best way to perform this test ?
2nd....if it DOESNT jump a 7/16 gap...what does this mean...which part would be responsible for this ? Thanks

Back