Logo

Very strange issue! Engine cut out, No beep, no start

Saltyseth

Engine is 2006 mercury 200hp efi 2 stroke. Boat is a very simple rig. 81 robalo, power pole,windlass anchor, jack plate, all necessary lights, no kill switch, a tach,fuel, temp and voltmeter, dual batteries in parallel. That’s it... very simple.nothing fancy.

This has happened the last two time I’ve taken it out. The First time I’m just cruising at idle and engine cuts out then it acts like there’s no power. No beep at key turn and no start, I played with the terminals and there was a slightly loose terminal so I figured that must be it because eventually I would get the beep and get it to turn over but would not stay lit or would cut out as soon as I put it in gear. I got towed in.

The next day I went to troubleshoot and it worked properly and I could not get The issue to recreate itself. I redid all the terminals anyway. . I went out again and it was working perfect on the way out, On my way In I was just idling along then I gave it throttle and the same thing happened again!!! Engine cut out and there was no key beep and no power. No power at the helm trim tab but power at the manual engine trim switch and everything else worked. So it’s definitely not a battery issue. I started inspecting ignition wires and all that looked fine. I did realize that if I turn the key to The on position I could go back to the engine and mess with the trim tab and it would Eventually give me the engine ready beep and I could turn the engine on and it may stay lit or May not.I did this over and over and over and sometimes it would stay running and sometimes not. I eventually realized that if I Got the beep and started The engine and held the key in the run position it would stay running and when I let go it would cut out... I limped back to my ramp and I’m stumped.
Everything is again operating properly and I can’t get The issue to recreate itself. Any insight would be hugely appreciated. Being dead in the water is the worst feeling.
I have several ponderings
All power wires are nice and tight on the engine and everything else
Maybe a bad ignition switch??? But why would I get no beep and no start?
Why does it only seem to do it after running for awhile?
ive tried putting the switch to only 1, only 2, and 1&2 and that didn’t make a bit of difference (I have always put it to 1&2 and left it There)

thoughts or ideas???

I just don’t know enough about this engine. If I don’t get the engine ready beep will it not allow it to start? What wire controls that ?

this is very strange, may have to bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic

I don't know your engine to be able to offer details but in general, putting the switch in run position will power up in your case both the ignition and the efi. I'm guessing that the efi is what gives the beep and that will have both a fuse and a relay. If messing with the wires can make it run then a loose or broken wire is likely. With that bit of insight I'm going to recommend that you download a copy of the service manual for your engine to get more details. Here at marine engine is one source and boat info dot no is a second (interesting, they bleeped the direct link when I put it in as an address) for $15 it would be one of the cheapest tools in your box. Even if you choose to wait for more informed help that manual would make you much more able to follow what advice might be given.

Last edited:
It sounds like a connection issue. Check the grounds in the wiring harness on the engine. Also check the battery connections to the engine. It may also be the main relay for the ignition. Undo the main wiring harness at the engine. Check for corroded pins or loose pins. Also check the ignition key switch.

It sounds like the ignition switch is going bad. Try jumping the two wires at the back of the switch. One that is hot all the time from the battery and the one that gets hot when you turn the switch to the on position run the boat if the problem goes away its the switch.Change it out.

Back