Logo

Yamaha F150 4 Cyl overheating then fine.

d24bishop

Last time we took the boat out (24 ft. Downeast Style). We heard a strange noise and a minute later had an engine overheat alarm. I shut down and cleared some eel grass from the prop and restarted, verified pee hole and the temperature dropped down to normal. Ran for an hour, stopped for a few hours and then on the way back minutes after starting and running slow noticed pee hole dripping and engine alarm went off. Reversed motor to clear prop, restarted, verified pee hole flow and ran back home for an hour no issues. Back at the dock I cleared some eel grass from the water inlet and flushed engine with fresh water. Ran for 20 minutes no problems. Water pump was new last season, about 50 hours ago. Is it possible this was just eel grass stuck in the inlet? Wondering if I should pull the boat and take a look at the pump or if I stay close to home for a couple trips and make sure everything runs fine. Never had this happen before. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Since you found an obstruction in the inlet two times I would suggest a few runs close to home but it sounds like an aggravation rather than a problem.

Back