Logo

2001 F25 TLR Oil passing UP FROM ENGINE to breather box (not through hoses)

BigJewDaddyAndy

I've contacted several outboard repair dudes out here on Oahu and I'm impatient for an answer after a week of no answers.
*2001 Yamaha F25 TLRA* (65-W)
So a quick history up to this point:
I went to take my little boat out and although it Idles well, when I got out of the marina and started to throttle up, my oil pressure alarm came on and the engine died. Due to my location, I put my big dive fins on right then and towed it back in myself. (the previous outing I had noticed a little oil in the fresh water flushing when I was washing down). I knew with how it died and the oil I saw I needed to get it out of the water ASAP.
When I looked up the issue (this time at least) there were a few options, main one being my piston rings.
So I tore the engine down, replaced the rings, all the oil seals and replaced all the gaskets, plugs, cleaned and re-lapped the valves, and even replaced the valve seals.
When I put back together, it fired right up with no issue, and i ran it for about 15 minutes before deciding I would try it out in the big puddle again.
Taking it back out, it died in exactly the same location when I started to throttle up and yet again, I towed it back in wearing my dive fins. LOL

So I opened the top breather box cover up last night, checked the filter thing in the breather box to make sure it wasn't so compressed it wouldn't let oil flow and when I put it back together, I disconnected the oil hose from the bottom of the engine at the breather box and hand cranked the engine (clockwise).
The oil actually came up from the engine on what I think was the compression stroke and filled the breather box and overflowed it.
I've see things about other breather boxes having a spring loaded valve in them however my boat has no such thing that I can find.

I was hoping someone who knew these engines a little better might know what is causing this issue.
I don't care if I need to tear the engine all the way down again, but I would be stoked to get this thing reliable again.
Any advice at all would be super appreciated.
Mahalos!

A site with this many professionals and still couldn't get help.
I figured it out on my own though and will explain the issue for anyone else who has a similar issue.

I never suspected the oil pump since it was clearly pumping oil.
What I didn't account for was the oil pump having a pressure relief valve as well. (everything I looked up for this valve had it on a little doohickey under the breather box)
Although I am not sure if you can only change the valve, I've ordered a whole new oil pump.
Since the oil pump on my engine is on the camshaft, I'll be tearing down the entire engine once again.

It really bums me out knowing even when you build up the courage to ask for help, it's still hard to get.
Hope my issue helps someone else figure out theirs too.

I was wrong yet again.
First, you don't need to open the engine for the oil pump, just remove it and it's on the bottom of the engine between the engine and lower cowling.
I assumed the oil pump had a pressure relief valve in it but was wrong. So another part replaced but I'll leave the new one in there too. LOL
The pressure relief valve is actually in the lower cowling. So you still need to pull the power head.
Cheapest part I've ordered so far. But I've learned a lot and knowing your engine when out in the ocean is a big plus in my opinion.
Hope this helps someone. The part is called "Relief Valve Assembly".

Back