Logo

Please help! No spark on 1999 25 Hp Johnson Outboard

Hello,
I need help with my 1999 25 HP Johnson. It had spark before and ran in the barrel. One day I got it on the water and started at the dock for 5 minutes. Then it died. Brought back home, check the spark, no spark all 3 cylinders. the kill switch is OK. People think it had bad Power pack # 586472 L. I would like to know how to check it before putting money in a new power pack since it costs a couple hundred bucks to replace it.
Also CDI power pack is cheaper than OMC OEM part. I prefer to go with CDI but need an opinion about it.

Attachments

• 1999-6.jpg
    1999-6.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 28
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 26
Pricy part.------listed ar $612 CA + the tax of course.------evinrudeparts.ca-----Free shipping on that item.----What trouble shooting have you done ?-----Coached a fellow in Cornerbrook 2 years ago on what / how to check a few things.------He was shopping for a used stator , turns out he did not need any parts !----Your location ?

Pricy part.------listed ar $612 CA + the tax of course.------evinrudeparts.ca-----Free shipping on that item.----What trouble shooting have you done ?-----Coached a fellow in Cornerbrook 2 years ago on what / how to check a few things.------He was shopping for a used stator , turns out he did not need any parts !----Your location ?

It had spark before, I could ran it in the barrel. Then when I got it on water, it starts 4-5 minutes and then died after that no matter I tried it could not start. When I got it back home, It did not start so I check the spark plugs, no spark on any of them. After that, I had asked a couple people (not a marine mechanic) they suggested the problem with the power pack. After that, I end up here to get help and second opinion before putting big $$$ into it. I live in Windsor, Ontario. I would like to know if there is the method to check the power pack. I have DVA adapter and voltmeter.

Hello Racerone,
I remember from other thread that you used to work on 25 hp 3 cylinders. Look like BRP had this model for short period of time. Has it had similar problem like their FICHT problem with most of 2000 year of BRP outboard.

I am about 4 hrs away from you.-----I have about 8 or 10 of these 3 cylinder 25 / 35 HP models for parts / rebuilding.----These 3 cylinder 25 hp models are really well built.----Just the ignition system is very fancy with expensive parts compared to the 2 cylinder 25 HP models.----I have the factory manual for those as well.

I am about 4 hrs away from you.-----I have about 8 or 10 of these 3 cylinder 25 / 35 HP models for parts / rebuilding.----These 3 cylinder 25 hp models are really well built.----Just the ignition system is very fancy with expensive parts compared to the 2 cylinder 25 HP models.----I have the factory manual for those as well.

Hello Racerone,
I just wonder how I could get the factory manual from you (PDF version or Hard copy). I guess you are in Pickering/Barrie, 4 hrs from my place. Otherwise I would bring my motor to you.

Hello,
Since I am busy with the other projects during the summer time so I stop working on it. Since it stopped having spark so I left it along. I have checked the spark again, it had a weak spark on one or two cylinders the no spark at all even though cranking hard with electric starter. So I decided to take a chance ordering a new CDI from Jetski made by Arieltek. There are some good review about this part. Has anyone used it before?
Arieltek
Arieltek
Arieltek

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 20
I update this post. After a lot headache to deal with the original OMC Power pack # 586472 L on the outboard, I end up take a chance to order Arieltek power pack for $230 usd from EBAY. Put it the outboard and it ran good! The headache I got with OMC powerpack that is was one day I got spark on all 3 cylinders but it could not run for 1-2 minutes and died after that. One day, there were not spark at all! I also bought new cylinder head O-rings (no gasket for this type of outboard). It got a bit of water leak around the head. Should any sealer need for the interface between the cylinder and the block? or just bare aluminum to aluminum? What is the correct torque value for the head bolts?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 20
Back