Logo

Chris Craft lancer 350 Q starter problems

Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting a high torque gear reduction starter that is counterclockwise rotation for my 350 Q. I would love to know what other people have used in place of the presto light starter. Thanks Matt

I'd call ARCO marine and ask them...they are the big guys in the marine alternator & starter business...

Let's make sure that we're on the same page here, and not confuse engine rotation with starter motor rotation.

See if this image helps.

Shown on the left side is a Std LH Rotation engine, whereas shown on the right side is a REV RH Rotation engine.
(engine rotation is determined while viewing the flywheel end)

The image shows both cylinder block mounted starter motors, and In-Board flywheel cover mounted starter motors.

Starter motor rotation explained by Arco.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ricardo and Makomark! Ricardo, you are always a big help. I definitely need a CCW starter. I would love to find a HTGR starter but everywhere I have called says that they can’t get one. I have only found the old style from Arco.

Ricardo, last year you helped me out with the Firing order of my Q engine after I rebuilt it. You gave me some tips on timing it. Where could I find timing specs at on this engine. I have the dimple with the letter stamped R for direction on the flywheel. No deg. marks. I have an advanced timing light. Any help would be great on both of these. If I need to start a new thread on the timing problem so it is documented for others to find I will.

Here is a pic of my boat!
7415C9D4-B343-48B5-849F-B8CDD06AD53B.jpeg
Matt T.

That should be easy to find in a HTGR/PMGR motor.
You will need to know the size of your flywheel…… It will be either a 153 or a 168 tooth ring gear.
Be sure to get the bolts with it!

That should be easy to find in a HTGR/PMGR motor.
You will need to know the size of your flywheel…… It will be either a 153 or a 168 tooth ring gear.
Be sure to get the bolts with it!

I can not find one!?!? I spent the day calling several marine Parts suppliers and none had a HTGR starter that was CCW all that I found were CW. That is why I started this post with the question can someone point me on the right direction to find one. I keep coming up empty handed. Ricardo can you tell me where you think would be a place to get one? My flywheel is 153 tooth Thanks Matt T.

To confirm: you do have a REV RH Rotation SBC and you need a cylinder block mounted starter motor for a 153 tooth ring gear ..... correct?

Have you tried Arco or Seamanufacturing in Florida?

To confirm: you do have a REV RH Rotation SBC and you need a cylinder block mounted starter motor for a 153 tooth ring gear ..... correct?

Have you tried Arco or Seamanufacturing in Florida?

Yes I have a rev rotation /RH SBC 350 153 tooth ring gear. Starter is block mounted.

I have not tried them. I will find there contact and give them a call tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I find.

While looking for a Marine SBC Reverse RH Rotation engine starter motor, I stumbled onto this old MarineEngine dot com thread.
(the OP turned grouchy when he did not receive the answer he was looking for)
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?386752-Engine-rotation-for-CC-1982-350-QL-amp-350Q

By the way, if you read that thread, my "source" hyperlinks are no longer valid.

Bottom line.... engine rotation is always determined by viewing the flywheel end..... not by viewing the front of the engine where we find the #1 cylinder!

If I'm understanding ChrisCraft, the 350 QL is a Standard LH Rotation engine, and the 350 Q is a REV RH Rotation engine.
(apparently 350 QL means LH rotation........ so I wonder why the REV RH rotation engine is not a 350 QR? Oh well! )

Since your starter motor mounts to the engine block (not to the flywheel cover), and since your flywheel ring gear is 153 tooth, you will need the SBC starter motor with the straight across bolt pattern (not the staggered bolt pattern).

Since your 350Q is REV RH Rotation, you will need what the industry refers to as a CCW starter motor.

I must admit, I am having trouble finding a CCW rotation starter motor for the 153 tooth ring gear in a cylinder block mount style.
I am seeing the CW rotation In-Board style starter motors.

So I have another question...... Does your flywheel cover offer a port for an In-Board style starter motor?
I ask because this style starter motor is more available in the CW rotation (REV RH Rotation engine).

By the way, getting away from that old Arco or Prestolite
non-gear reduction Bendix drive style starter motor is a great move.
You will like how well the HTGR/PMGR motors work.
Faster cranking speed, and less AMPs to operate it.

Last edited:
Lancers with Volvo stern drives use standard rotation engines if they drive the prop from the flywheel end, and usually have block mounted starters. They have reverse rotation engines if they drive the prop from the front of the engine, i.e. the engine is mounted backwards.

However, Lancers with Volvo drives almost always use Hollman Moody style extended intermediate housings and can use engines with EITHER block mounted starters (starter gets wet when bilge floods) or flywheel cover mounted starters ( starter on top pointing aft...stays dry)

Attachments

• 1969 Lancer in 2017.jpg
    1969 Lancer in 2017.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Bob brings up some interesting points.

Which drive system?
Is the engine mounted with flywheel facing forward, or is it a conventional installation?

If Volvo Penta stern drive (even if labeled Eaton or other), the transmission (upper gear unit) requires that it be driven CCW when viewed from behind the boat.
If the transmission is driven from the flywheel's drive coupler, the engine must be a Std LH Rotation engine.
If the transmission is driven from the front of the crankshaft (via Holman Moody etc adapter), the engine must be a REV RH Rotation engine.

A few good photos would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Here is an example of what Chris Craft did for a flywheel facing forward installation.
This one is apparently for a straight shaft drive.
The reason for the flywheel facing forward was to lower the center of the prop shaft (i.e., no flywheel in this area).

enhance

They also did an AQ series volvo penta stern drive installation.
Shown here is the front of the SBC engine with the use of a Borg Warner/Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing.
In this scenario, the engine would be a REV RH Rotation engine.

attachment.php

Most Lancers used the same adapter for a normal flywheel aft install. They did the flywheel FWD install to lower the engine height (and the engine box)... One of the reasons I like this setup is that I can use any engine with a Borg Warner bolt circle and not just "Volvo" engines...and the weight of engine is a few inches more forward of the transom. Also, full FWC engines readily available outside the Volvo world.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the pics and advice. I have tried all day yesterday to post pictures of the boat. i have two pictures that i have uploaded in the past and it will not load anymore for me. I am still trying to figure it out because I would like for you to see what Im working with.
Thanks Matt T.

Thank you all for the pics and advice. I have tried all day yesterday to post pictures of the boat. i have two pictures that i have uploaded in the past and it will not load anymore for me. I am still trying to figure it out because I would like for you to see what Im working with.
Thanks Matt T.
The size of uploads is limited on this forum, Resize your pix... I use "PAINT" to do that.

Here are some pics to see what I have. I tried to turn the pics so that they are not on their side but for what ever reason it didn't work Flywheel is facing forward. I do have the AQ series adapter. I do not have any pics of that. I did call Arco on my search for a HTGR Starter CCW and they said that they would have to call me back. He did not see one right off. the guy on the phone was super nice and was going to do some research.

Off topic but does anyone know what type of carburetor would have been on my engine? I have a Quadrajet 4 barrel #7040247. Where there different types that were put on over the years.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 61547400709__913121FB-7393-47C8-A7A1-2DFB1B0C4238.jpg
    61547400709__913121FB-7393-47C8-A7A1-2DFB1B0C4238.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 109
Here are some pics to see what I have. I tried to turn the pics so that they are not on their side but for what ever reason it didn't work Flywheel is facing forward. I do have the AQ series adapter. I do not have any pics of that.
I'd like to have a few private words with the engineers that designed this engine package!

I did call Arco on my search for a HTGR Starter CCW and they said that they would have to call me back. He did not see one right off. the guy on the phone was super nice and was going to do some research.
Good.
Stay on top of it.... they will come up with the correct starter motor for you.
Be sure to mention what size flywheel and that it mounts to the cylinder block.

Off topic but does anyone know what type of carburetor would have been on my engine? I have a Quadrajet 4 barrel #7040247. Where there different types that were put on over the years.
I can't quite see from the pictures, but the intake appears to be a "spread bore", of which means that it would have been a Q-jet.

Ricardo, I agree I too would like to have a few "words" with them also.

This is my first endeavor into the boat world. I love this boat! My kids 14yrs, 10yrs and 7yrs old fight about who will get the boat when I'm gone. It's part of the family. My wife says I kiss it goodnight.LOL!

I would like to say to all of you guys that replied to this forum THANKS! I bought this boat for $800 because no one in the area I live in in Mississippi, not in our marinas or anywhere that I could find could make this thing run right. But because of you guys I have been able to make this boat a pice of the family. I wish I could meet each one of you for coffee and personally thank you.

Have you found a HTGR/PMGR starter motor for a REV RH Rotation SBC?

No not yet. Arco has not called me back. I called them three days ago. The guy on the other end found every other starter but could not find a HTGR CCW starter. He said he was going to do some research. I’ll post about it as soon as I find one. They were my last stop. I’ve called so many people and all day they can’t get one CCW. Thanks Matt T.

I'll ask again........ have you found a HTGR/PMGR starter motor for a REV RH Rotation SBC?

No Arco never called back. I have been tied up with something else and have not called them back. I will call today and ask. I don’t have anyone else to call after them. I have called about half a dozen places. Thanks Matt T.

No Arco never called back. I have been tied up with something else and have not called them back. I will call today and ask. I don’t have anyone else to call after them. I have called about half a dozen places. Thanks Matt T.

What a bummer.
I would think that they would see the importance of a call-back.

FYI...... a Standard engine mounted CW starter motor can be made into a CCW starter motor by reversing the armature field wires, and by a change to the pinion drive gear relief cuts and the sprag clutch free-wheel direction.

Perhaps ask if they are capable of doing this.

What a bummer.
I would think that they would see the importance of a call-back.

FYI...... a Standard engine mounted CW starter motor can be made into a CCW starter motor by reversing the armature field wires, and by a change to the pinion drive gear relief cuts and the sprag clutch free-wheel direction.

Perhaps ask if they are capable of doing this.

Thanks Ricardo! I had planned on calling back but my job has been busy the past week. I’ll post back here as soon as I find that starter. Thanks Matt T

Back