Logo

Bogged down 1990 40hp

Amac8321

Hi there...I recently purchased a 20ft Lowe pontoon and redid the whole thing (it sat outside for 10 years). It has a 40hp Evinrude (model VE40TLESR).
The motor idles nicely and will rev right up when not in gear but as soon as I put it in gear theres no power. Im getting to about 5mph and it seems to rev up most at 3/4 throttle. It will rev up and pick up speed momentarily when I hit the choke.

I've done new carbs kits, fuel filter, checked for good spark and I'm not sure what to do next. Any diag. tests or information would be helpful...What should I do next?!

(A new motor isnt an option and I know 40hp is a little underpowered but I dont mind as long as it runs as it should!)

When you push the key in the primer valve opens.-----The fuel pump can then push fuel through this valve and directly into the motor.----This fuel bypasses the metering circuits in the carburetors.----That tells me that you might want to look at the carburetors again !-----Pay particular attention to a part called an ORIFICE PLUG found in the bottom of the carburetor bowl.-----A word of caution on this motor.----The lower unit is considered to be NOT ROBUST by some folks.----Make sure you use top quality oil in there.------Install a new impeller in the water pump too.

All the fuel goes through them.----They are a calibrated hole.-----They have to be clean.----Not a bad idea to post your compression numbers here too.

I'm going to work on the boat tomorrow and I have a compression tester and a timing light....what kind of pressure am I looking for and how do I adjust the timing? Any help is appreciated!

The timing on these motors does not go out of adjustment.----Well except for a sheared flywheel key.-----Make no adjustment with the " trial and error " method.

Timing is right on at 19btc....took the carbs off to re-clean and go through...hopefully this will solve the issue. Yesterday pushing the choke in repeatedly got me to about 12mph which is fine with me...just need to get it to rin that way. We have a 12.5x 13 prop on it right now

Using the primer valve puts extra fuel into the engine.----This fuel bypasses the metering circuits in the carburetors.----This points to problems in the carburetors.-------And you must understand that one carburetor being partially plugged could mean a cylinder lean on fuel.-----And also oil.------So you risk major damage to your motor.-----Up to you to try and correct the problem !

I've put the carbs back on and it seems to be doing the same thing....highest rpm at 3/4 throttle and it's about 3k or so. We have a new fuel pump so I plan on removing the vro pump and replacing with a regular and running mixed. Is there any adjustment that I need to make to sync the carbs or the throttle cable?

Back