Logo

78 Mercury L6 900 Wont idle, runs on 3/4 choke

Djc32294

Motor is 1978 L6 900. Just changed out the switch box and coil due to a no spark issue. Boat sparks well and runs. Just dipped all the carbs and blew out the orfices with low pressure. Also did a link and sync. I cannot get it to idle. Runs ok with the cold lever all the way in and feathering the choke till warm. Once warm it will run only with the cold lever all the way. Will not idle. Restart requires cold lever and choke to get going again.

When in gear on the water, it bogs out trying to pick up speed, will run decent at no wake speed. With manual choke 3/4 on, it runs great. Planes off and can go low speed, still will not idle.

I’ve got the idle circuits 1-3/4 turn out, fuel bulb is solid (squeezing makes no difference in how it runs), compression is 135-150 across all 6, carbs were rebuilt 2 years ago, fuel pump rebuilt 5 years ago. (NOTE: Before the spark became an issue, I used to have to squeeze the bulb to get it to run wide open) Guessing it’s a fuel pump issue or timing. I checked fuel pressure of the pump and it pumps, can’t confirm the amount though.

With the motor in the water. Try turning out mixture screws to achieve a higher rpm. If you turn in the mixture screws to close. Does it bog out the motor. This will determine if the idle circuit is working or not. If nothing happens when you turn in the mixture screw. The idle circuit is clogged. Only turn in one mixture screw at a time for testing purposes

Back