Logo

Evinrude/Johnson 2hp

audyva

Hi everyone,

Thank you for adding to your blog.

I am searching for advice, i have 2x 2hp motors, one Evinrude and one Johnson, both of them are from the 1970's i think.

I sent them to a local repair shop and they told me that they are finished and not worth spending money to repair them.

The Evinrude need a new piston connecting rod, the current one is to used.

The Johnson needs a new crankshaft.

I even have an Evinrude 3hp (1958 i think) that has low compression and same answer, don't spend money to repair it.

There reason on why not to repair them, is that i would spend more money to replace the same parts in a few years.

I am looking for advice from other people to see if i would try to repair them my self.

Thank you again.

Often you can find them for $300 or less in running condition.-----Step #1 is to look at the price of parts.---They are not difficult to repair.------At $100 / hr the shops do not want you yelling at them when you see the invoice.---Your location ?

Last edited:
i am pretty handy, i already did repairs on my truck and atv, these motor don't look that complicated to fix and i already bought service manuals.

So do you thinkit would be worth it to repair them my self?

Yes it is easy to repair outboards.----Hoping to sit down with the 10 year old grandson and go over a 9.9 HP Johnson later this year.------He already installed a new impeller in his own 10 HP when he was 8 years old.

Another question if i can :)

Evinrude lightwin 3HP i was told low compression by a local repair shop, i tested it here at home and it has 90PSI on both cylinder.

If that's to low, how many PSI shold it have?

Thanks,

It should run very nicely with 90 PSI.------You are aware that some shops do not want to work on older motors and will find polite reasons , such as no parts , 3 weeks behind , no tools for it anymore.

As you mention, i am starting to think that they did not have time or did not want to repair them.

They had my motor for at lease 6 weeks before they told me they were scrap.

I will check them out my self once i receive my service manuals and get them running by my self.

Thanks Racerone for quick answer :)

I probably need a carb kit and ajustments.

I put new gas mix in it and it will start for a few seconds with the throttle all the way up, but when i bring it down, the moto stops.

I don't if the 2 spark plug wire got mixed up also :(

Back