Logo

BF 225 Fuel Flow Issues

ByrdmanFL

Contributing Member
So I was out 27 miles fishing on Friday and had no issues other than I would have to trim one motor up to get up to 4000 rpms. Came in and replaced the spin on racor filter. Pumped the bulb, cranked it up and let it idle for about 10 min to purge the fuel lines.

Come back an hour later to drive the boat and the motor ran fine for about 10 min, shut off and I could pump the bulb to get it to start, but would not run when I raised the throttle. Came back the next day and got it to run, switched fuel tanks other motor ran perfect on either tank and either racor filters. The one ok up to about 3800 rpms and it would fall on it face every 10-15 min then it would be fine for another 30 min or so.

Brought the boat home and replaced the HP fuel filter today thinking that was the culprit and noticed the o-ring was pinched and probably been sucking air. Put new o-ring in and still would not start. I can hear the HP pump whine for the 2 seconds, but no fuel in the HP filter and very little fuel, maybe 1/4 cup came out the VST drain. Definitely not a pint or two.

Pulled the VST and hit the screws with blaster to soak for the night so I can open it up and clean it tomorrow after work. The VST definitely feels like it doesn't have much gas in it.

My thoughts:

1. the HP fuel pump is toast from sucking air, runs but cant push the gas at the proper pressure. Fuse is good
2. Float stuck on the VST and not allowing enough gas into the chamber
3. LP fuel pump is gone and cannot supply enough fuel for the VST and air is present..

Am I on the right track? I am open to any suggestions, or issues I am not thinking of.

Thanks for any help!!

Byrdman

Those HP fuel pumps seldom fail, so try to eliminate other issues before spending the big bucks (and time) to replace.

Make sure you don't have a kinked or restricted fuel line - check them all - especially check where the fuel line goes through the big black round grommet as it enters the engine compartment. Several folks on this forum have reported that salt and gunk build up inside that grommet has restricted fuel flow.

Test your fuel pressure by hooking your fuel pressure gauge at the pressure relief bolt on top of the cover to the HP fuel filter. You will need a 6 mm adapter for your fuel gauge. Be sure to pull off and clamp the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure should be between 41 and 48 psi at idle. If in spec, it's not likely the HP fuel pump. If it's above spec - pull the fuel pressure regulator and clean it thoroughly.

Run a clear plastic fuel line with matching inside diameter from the LP fuel filter to the LP fuel pump. Run engine and look for bubbles. If none, run the same line from the LP fuel pump to the VST and look for bubbles.

Pull the LP fuel pump and test manually.

Then pull the VST and check float level and float valve. Be sure to use new gaskets when re-assembling.

Only after all of that would I consider pulling the HP fuel pump and bench testing.

Those HP fuel pumps seldom fail, so try to eliminate other issues before spending the big bucks (and time) to replace.

Make sure you don't have a kinked or restricted fuel line - check them all - especially check where the fuel line goes through the big black round grommet as it enters the engine compartment. Several folks on this forum have reported that salt and gunk build up inside that grommet has restricted fuel flow.

Test your fuel pressure by hooking your fuel pressure gauge at the pressure relief bolt on top of the cover to the HP fuel filter. You will need a 6 mm adapter for your fuel gauge. Be sure to pull off and clamp the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure should be between 41 and 48 psi at idle. If in spec, it's not likely the HP fuel pump. If it's above spec - pull the fuel pressure regulator and clean it thoroughly.

Run a clear plastic fuel line with matching inside diameter from the LP fuel filter to the LP fuel pump. Run engine and look for bubbles. If none, run the same line from the LP fuel pump to the VST and look for bubbles.

Pull the LP fuel pump and test manually.

Then pull the VST and check float level and float valve. Be sure to use new gaskets when re-assembling.

Only after all of that would I consider pulling the HP fuel pump and bench testing.

Thank you for all your suggestions, but at this time, I cannot get it running again and I can't get fuel to the HP filter. That is why I think it is either the LP or HP fuel pump or the VST is all gunked up or float valve is stuck/not working. It really doesnt feel like there is much, if any, fuel in the VST.

how do you test the LP FP manually? I have never had any issues with either of mine, but I think that is a good place to start considering above info.

Thanks!!

Byrdman

Back