Logo

BF130 Water in the crankcase

cwayne49

My 2000 Honda BF130 (SN BEBE 1006195) is dropping gray foamy oil into the lake. Dipstick shows gray foamy oil, but the level is dropping, not building, because it is coming out the exhaust and water ports. Can't figure out why.

I first thought it would be the cylinder head cracking bug, but I have good compression on all cylinders, and there is no moisture in any cylinder. Also, it will start and idle smoothly. ( I credit Royal Purple oil for saving the engine when this happened)

So I have water in the crankcase and the foamy oil is leaking out. What could cause this?

I can share one thing for sure regarding engines operated in salt water frequently. You don't have to have a history of cracked blocks to have water in your crankcase. Corrosion on a motor this old is not that unusual....

You can guess all you like, but the bottom line will remain it needs to be pulled down for a thorough inspection. I doubt seriously there is anything you can do externally. That's been my experience anyway. The question will be block, or head? FWIW....

Last edited:
Back