Logo

Johnson 50hp no spark

kjdavi76

I have a Johnson 50hp model J50PLEEA. It has no fire from the CDI unit to the coil pack. I have put 2 brand new CDI boxes on and 2 new timer bases still nothing. I have installed a new keyswitch and traced every wire out on the motor. It has a new stator, coil pack, plugs and wires, CDI box, timer base, keyswitch. I have disconnected the black/yellow wire. I have checked over all the wiring and grounding multiple times I am at a loss. The stator has ohms fine on both sides and using a DVA it is putting out 280V and 32V. Has anyone ran into anything like this?

Cranking rpm is about 550rpm. The magnets are magnetic i dont have anything to check the polarity on them though.
Check the refrigerator door!
Where did you disconnect the black/yellow wire? I find it best to disconnect at powerpack and work towards keyswitch.

I did a DVA test on timer base I get nothing and it has a brand new timer base.

If you had/have no dva output on three timer bases,i,d say you have no timer base magnets in the flywheel.
When you say you get nothing,i have to assume that is nothing onthe shorts to ground test and the total output test.

Last edited:
Back