Logo

1990 Evinrude 70hp E70TLESB Need Help Badly!!!!

Dmosherbuyno

ok, so this is everything I have done to the motor and I am getting nothing...

It started up in the beginning but ran bad, so I rebuilt and cleaned the carbs, replaced the spark plugs.

When I went to start it up I accidentally hooked up the main positive to the negative terminal and visa versa. It ended up melting the negative terminal.*

I replaced the starter solenoid, ignition coils and rectifier. Im getting power to the starter solenoid, tilt and trim buttons on the motor work fine.*

When I go to crank it clicks once and does nothing, I go to crank it again and no click and nothing happens. The only thing I haven't replaced is the starter which I just ordered today.*

Other than the starter, what else could be the issue? This is killing me....tmenk you for your help.

Just for kicks try taking a set of jumper cables and go directly to the starter and see if it will turn over ok, it sounds like you have a rather bad wire connection and bypassing everything will prove yes or no.

When you say your getting power to the starter solenoid,is that power 12vdc from the battery or 12vdc from the key switch,or both?
And why did you replace ign coils and retifier?

When you say your getting power to the starter solenoid,is that power 12vdc from the battery or 12vdc from the key switch,or both?<br>And why did you replace ign coils and retifier?

Yes, if is not working on the motor start by going straight to the starter and if it works there remove the negative cable and see if it is still working. Your trying to see what parts are good and don't need to be worried about so you back up each time and bypass parts till you get to a part that doesn't do it's job. It may be just a connection but first you have to find it.

So I got a new starter in today, when I go to start it, it cranks and barely turns the flywheel, then just makes a noise like the starter is trying to turn it more but it wont...

Which sounds like not enough battery or poor cable connections. I would either charge the battery or take it to an auto parts store so they can test it unless you find a bad connection first.

Load test the battery.-----Inspect battery cables.-----Use booster on the starter, that will bypass cables and solenoid.----Perhaps the engine or lower unit have issues.-----Remove lower unit and see if motor will crank properly.

Have you taken a good look at the battery cables especially the ground cable? It sounds to me like things that are powered from the battery are ok but things that are mounted on the engine aren't, is that what you are seeing?

Snice you have a multimeter check the standing voltage at the battery (voltage without a load) then get the reading when you try to start the engine. I would like to know how low the voltage is getting.

Well there is your problem, not enough electrons. 12.36 is rather discharged but anything under 10 volts loaded is pretty sorry. I would suggest a new battery.

I had similar starting issue with my 1991 70 HP. I needed a new battery and i purchased a "Marine Cranking" battery, not a "Deep cycle / RV battery". Starts first turn and crank now.

Yep, I got a new battery last night, it cranks now, I just need to figure out the starting issue. I think when I replaced the woodruff key on the flywheel I torqued it too much. I don't have a torque wrench.

Yes, I just took the flywheel off, it sheared the woodruff key, but I also didn't have the correct one in. I have the right ones now that I ordered, so Im about to put the correct one in.

I also have a lot of fuel coming out when I crank it of that small hose that goes from the bottom of the crankcase to the silencer. (The silencer is not installed though)

Back