Logo

In response to a PM from member Blake Brancheau

RicardoMarine

Gold Medal Contributor
Branch92 said:
I have a 96' crownline 210ccr its has a VP DP-C1 1.95 outdrive.... top serial number on it is 3868002, bottom one on tag is 3102154005. as for the engine is it a chevy small block with what appears to be a throttle body style injection... I have removed the upper part the out drive (the transmission) and have the first seal knocked out along with the two big snap rings...

1.... im to the point of pulling the shaft out but that thing will not come out for the life of me...

2.... just want to confirm I am on the right track and that I don't need to pull engine for my repair... boat has 1200 hours on it and the current bearing in it is a non sealed ball bearing....

3..... bell housing on back of motor is black in color. I can email you some pics as well if need be.

thank you

Blake Brancheau

1... it may be stubborn due to rust/corrosion at/in the Borg Warner splines. Try shocking it forward with a brass hammer.
If that doesn't free it, I'll make a last resort suggestion for you.

2... the C and later drives used a single bearing PDS. A single bearing PDS will come out AFT without removing the engine.

3.... that would be your Flywheel Cover (bell housing in the Auto world).
All of the in-line 4 and 6 cylinder engine, all Ford V-8 engine and all C and later engine F/Cs used a single bearing PDS.
The C and later GM V-8 F/Cs
were actually a dark charcoal color.

rick

sorry for the PM I realized what you signature said after I had sent my PM...

thank you for the response though!, so I appear that I am on the right track, I have tried shocking it with a brass punch and a small sledge hammer but it seemed to have done nothing... Im guess it the BW splines... engine was out of boat about 5-7 years ago and im guessing nothing as lubed up when put back together... my next two things to try were going to be tig welding threaded rod to the end of the shaft and pull it with a slide hammer... beyond that I have nothing

was also thing of tracking down a "torque lock" and then lock that onto the shaft and make up an adapter to use that with a slide hammer

DO NOT weld anything to the PDS! The PDS is machined from hardened material, and heat may damage it.

Wrap some copper or brass shim stock around the PDS splines.
Grab onto that area with the largest vice grip pliers that you can possibly find.
Attach your slide hammer affair to the vice grips with a chain or cable, or whatever works.

Give that a try.

Last edited:
Got it ! Took a bigger pair of vice grips than what I was using before and welded a nut to them so I could pull straight on the shaft. Bought the biggest slide hammer from harbor freight and with about 10 slams it came out !

now I need to order a bearing and a few other things to put it back together

Few more things...now that the PDS is out can the most forward seal be pulled and new one installed ? I believe I read that the seal bottoms out into a snap ring? Also how much grease and what flavor of grease should I put on the pilot snout and on the BW splines ?

thanks again for the help.. hopefully my pics attach as well

Last edited:
Good job!

Regarding the two cap screws for the helmet pin........ make darn certain that the correct length cap screws go back in.
If incorrect (as in too long) they will break the the aluminum collar and will allow water to enter the drive shaft area.

As for the seals, in your case, with a sealed PDS bearing, the FWD and AFT seals are basically dust seals only.

Replace both if concerned.

Last edited:
Yes the two bolts in there are just ones I used to release the helmet pin itself...

what grease should be used on pilot snout and on BW splines and what kind of grease ? Also about how much ?

Does the FWD most seal just pull out AFT as everything else has ?

Yes the two bolts in there are just ones I used to release the helmet pin itself...
Ah.... Good!
I've seen the wrong length cap screws push through the aluminum.... not good!

what grease should be used on pilot snout and on BW splines and what kind of grease ? Also about how much ?
I use a good water proof grease, just enough to prevent rust.

Does the FWD most seal just pull out AFT as everything else has ?
On your flywheel cover, yes!
But again..... it's not really necessary to replace it.

thanks again for your help! ill be starting another thread in a day or so on the removal of something else.... I have a feeling you will chime in! your knowledge is amazing !

do you by chance know the part number for #6 per this diagram? I took the picture from another thread... my snap ring that retains the PDS bearing is rather bent up and id like to replace.. thanks !

Attachments

• 12793_big.gif
    12793_big.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 27
do you by chance know the part number for #6 per this diagram? I took the picture from another thread... my snap ring that retains the PDS bearing is rather bent up and id like to replace.. thanks !

I thought that I was the only one up this early!!!!!!

I believe that SEQ #6 is the small snap ring.
The forward most seal would be SEQ # 3.
The seals will be marked in Metric dimensions.

All of these snap rings can be purchased at NAPA.

I get up super early for work, and I’m in Michigan so a little ahead of you out there.

I was able to get a snap ring today, now waiting for my new SKF sealed bearing to show up and my new aft seal

Back