Logo

Timming advance question 1976 Evinrude 75643D 75hp Outboard

here it is again not sure why both of you cant see it. i can? If you cant see it this time I may have to talk to the forum administrator why?

https://youtu.be/fHN-zd8t1v4

I just rebuild the carbs in the video. how does it sound. Idle a little high. I will be setting the link and sync Wednesday when the tach comes in. I need the timing light.
Thanks to MarineEngine.com They had the right needle and seat for my carbs. they screwed in beautifully no issues. Nice

https://youtu.be/zXMV6Y_iVfs

Found issue when I thought I had a bad coil . are you seeing the youtube ok now?

Today I confirmed it was not the power pack all in plug wire as I thought and hoping. I have video showing power on test light coming from power pack not sure if anyone can see it as I do. I try later to post it, so need to find a better way to make a better connection on all 3 spark plug connectors. looking on line and at auto parts. anyone have the fix please shout out. Thanks for your interest

Did you buy the cheap $10 chinese kit for the carbs? That looks a lot like the cheap plastic float that comes.in those kits. Did you replace the needle and seat? To set the float height hold the carb upside down and set the float so it is level. You do not care about idle timing, to set idle you have to be on the lake and warmed up.

Did you buy the cheap $10 chinese kit for the carbs? That looks a lot like the cheap plastic float that comes.in those kits. Did you replace the needle and seat? To set the float height hold the carb upside down and set the float so it is level. You do not care about idle timing, to set idle you have to be on the lake and warmed up.

Yes did buy cheap kit, I didn't use this time around the floats All new from marine engine and all went well its fixed.I will check again about the idle in the water. When I read the manual it said 2 degrees after TDC. I stand to be corrected. I been so occupied with coil wires and carb issues I need to review manual.Thanks for that check. I have a feeling Im going to have a few questions on the advance. Thanks

Ok thanks it will be until Thursday I have to go out of town tomorrow. don't think I get to it.I might. 16 WOT and Idle 700 to 750 I don't have a tach. I needed to call on it. I had it checked out for accuracy. Also wanted to check prop pitch. needed to trust the tach.
Timing take care of it self. OK

how was this rebuilt? Was it bored with new.pistons? Or.was it honed and new rings? What is.your.compression? You may want to stop revving it up in neutral like that.

how was this rebuilt? Was it bored with new.pistons? Or.was it honed and new rings? What is.your.compression? You may want to stop revving it up in neutral like that.
Bored all new,,,, All cylinders have about 100 compression. A touch over when warm. After checking power pack with test light that is good, coils all have continuity and I did switch middle coil to top to see if it was the coil, not coils. new NGK connector to plug.No difference!! middle cylinder no difference when pulling wire when pulled?????

Question is power pack fires on test light could it still be the stator??

https://youtu.be/dgw8vhbgbZ0

Post #2 in this saga suggests that it might be running on 2 cylinders.--------And it still is !!----Should be easy to figure out.-----One of 4 things.------No fuel on #2 ---No spark on #2 ----No crankcase compression on #2---No cylinder compression.----And stop running this motor like you are.----If there is no fuel going into #2 cylinder there is no oil either !!

Post #2 in this saga suggests that it might be running on 2 cylinders.--------And it still is !!----Should be easy to figure out.-----One of 4 things.------No fuel on #2 ---No spark on #2 ----No crankcase compression on #2---No cylinder compression.----And stop running this motor like you are.----If there is no fuel going into #2 cylinder there is no oil either !!

No spark I took a video to show you and it shows a spark when seeing the video. When you see it live you see no spark. very week week spark? This made me think did I miss it? I will recheck everything. relook at it because I was surprised to see the light spark in video
https://youtu.be/d7bUu2I-sDE

No spark I took a video to show you and it shows a spark when seeing the video. When you see it live you see no spark. very week week spark? This made me think did I miss it? I will recheck everything. relook at it because I was surprised to see the light spark in video
https://youtu.be/d7bUu2I-sDE

When just cranking it over with button with key on no spark. When motor running at high idle showers weak spark Whats up?

Find / buy / make a test device that you can set to force the ignition system to jump a gap of 7/16" or more.-----Those blinky things are not the best way to check maximum voltage output !!!!----So does the spark on #2 jump a gap of 7/16" at cranking speed , yes or no ????

Find / buy / make a test device that you can set to force the ignition system to jump a gap of 7/16" or more.-----Those blinky things are not the best way to check maximum voltage output !!!!----So does the spark on #2 jump a gap of 7/16" at cranking speed , yes or no ????

Good point I do have another gap tester could test its what you are talking about. I used the glass blink thing on top coil and on middle coil a distinct difference. The gap test is easily can be done. i will. Im going to recheck everything again. I moved coils and still no spark on middle cyl. I checked power pack with test light all 3 good. Whats the best way to check the stator. This I have not checked yet.

7/16 Spark test did show some spark not sure cant tell. Its a spark but not enough to light the light, I found this number 3 sensor not lighting. https://youtu.be/XCEiDJmUJS8

7/16 Spark test did show some spark not sure cant tell. Its a spark but not enough to light the light, I found this number 3 sensor not lighting. https://youtu.be/XCEiDJmUJS8

The head is dished. My question is do you think I can resurface head and go with new gasket or do they have a gasket that will make up for the gap maybe add sealant. This gasket said no sealant

I think I could have tightened the head bolts more and not take the head off. I did tighten them at 20 foot lbs,, If I can remember? it was by the book. Did not want to strip the hole

Every outboard cylinder head ( lots of them ) I have looked at has been warped like that.----No surprise at all.----Use a piece of glass and emery paper / valve grinding compound the correct this.

Why for you say ----" not sure if you are serious "-----Perhaps you are working on your first outboard !-----I am way past the stage of knowing how to install sparkplugs.

Why for you say ----" not sure if you are serious "-----Perhaps you are working on your first outboard !-----I am way past the stage of knowing how to install sparkplugs.

Not sure if it was a smart remark and a few laughs. Thanks for the advice.

This whole post was a learning experience.

I had even compression on all cylinders all the time. I looked elsewhere! Mistake. I never suspected a leak from the head gasket at any time after I had compression. I thought I cut corners using new needle with old seat. The center carbs still spitting fuel after I rebuild again and again. I thought it was the timing. The center cylinder was the one that dropped off line. Checked coils and power pack and started to look at the stator when I changed the center plug and saw water not fuel drops inside the spark plug. I pulled head and found water in the intake port and it was full and some in exhaust. I blew compressed air in the intake port and a lot of water came out at me.

Racerone Question for you.. Water in motor is it a concern. What grade sand paper to level the head. Wet or dry, Any special head gasket for a head that maybe out of flat

Back