Logo

Timming advance question 1976 Evinrude 75643D 75hp Outboard

Romeman

Regular Contributor
Just rebuilt power head.Could the WOT screw on the timing advance keep the boat from achieving maxi-min RPM? I know it maybe the prop as well. I am tied to the dock and cant get past 3000 rpm. I bought the motor and rebuilt it and never touch this advanced WOT screw yet. I think I should get better RPM maybe close to 4500 rpm tied up? Lol its tied up! Yea! it flattens out at 3000 RPM and not struggling to go any higher as we know its tied up. Heads up on this anyone?. Thinking once I get it on the water this is all I'm going to get. We are in the worse season ever. Water level is to low to launch the boat.

Sounds like it may be running on 2 of 3 cylinders.------A local shop may have what is called a " test prop " designed to load the motor as if the boat is moving !!----Used just like the way you are testing now.----Yes there is a difference.---Perhaps you can rent this proper test device.

Sounds like it may be running on 2 of 3 cylinders.------A local shop may have what is called a " test prop " designed to load the motor as if the boat is moving !!----Used just like the way you are testing now.----Yes there is a difference.---Perhaps you can rent this proper test device.

Yea the bottom plug is clean or cleaner than the other two. I did check for spark? maybe weak?I bought 3 new coils may have a bad one? test prop nice thought. I need to go out there now and see if it will not throttle up under NO LOAD! Checking it now should hold this post but your right here now. I may switch coils. Be back soon. and thanks

It red lined under no load with ears on. Thanks for you thoughts I will follow up on cylinder coil. I don't like these new coils that the wire just pushes in. My old coils were hard wired. Paid like 70 dollars each. Not happy with wires turning around and not lining up on spark plug either. Again Thank you

Well---Imagine that redline with no load.-----That motor will do that running on 2 of 3 cylinders.----That proves nothing and may in fact cause damage to your " rebuilt motor " ----Good luck with your project.

You gotta be joshing me. You are trying to get over 3000 with the boat tied to the dock? Worse yet, running it WOT with no load? I'll try to be nice and not say any more.

Just rebuilt power head!
Did you rebuild carburators?yes or no?? Rebui!d means you disassemble and install new parts.
Did you replace water pump assembly?
Did you replace thermostate and pressure control valves?
Did you sync and link?

Just rebuilt power head!
Did you rebuild carburators?yes or no?? Rebui!d means you disassemble and install new parts.
Did you replace water pump assembly?
Did you replace thermostate and pressure control valves?
Did you sync and link?

sync and link? No everything else yes. I took it to The lake today. I will upload video all went well until I hit a bunch of weeds. I had to go forward and back and it stalled would not start again. finally started and ran on one or two cylinders. I was driving home lost tire. Wow. Finally got home and checked compression all good. I think its the coils I bought. Spark plugs the one on top fouled other two same noy sure if they were firing or not. I would like to know if I can melt the spark plug wires some how in to the coil. wax maybe. they are loose just pushed in.Like my old ones wire are hard wired. I send a picture have to go to youtube. I do get close to my 5000 RPM. When I was trying to run at 2500 it seemed to foul the plugs. I went to 3000 to 4000 cleaned plugs ran really good. Carbs are whistle clean and no adjustment on carbs I try and upload video I had trouble the last few times. Soon

You gotta be joshing me. You are trying to get over 3000 with the boat tied to the dock? Worse yet, running it WOT with no load? I'll try to be nice and not say any more.

Aw, C'mon Gator..... Tell'em what Red Foreman had to say about that! :)

61609333197__D0D8DCCD-F943-48DF-8B7B-4ADD66DE7469.JPG
I made this tool today I found some one made one on a post as It would take 6 days to order one. tomorrow I start sync and link Thanks

I cant gain access to your youtube.

Thanks for checking it out. the video was not very good i deleted it. Sent it before I saw it. I didn't like it. sorry Im not to good being on video.. I am having issues sending pictures. The size of the pictures is way to big to post. I can send video

I took all the coils off and check them. All have the same resistance. All good their. I started seeing gas flooding out of the air box. I took the box off started it up. The middle carb is spitting gas out over the choke plate. I think its the seat. I bought carb rebuild kits that the seats for the needle would not screw in the bowl. threads on the seats were damaged on all three. I used the new needles and old seats. may have not been a good idea. Crazy idea but I did it. I liked the new needles and thinking they are soft tip and will seat. They did seal when I blew air in gas inlet when upside down when rebuilding them. I went with it and now I pay for it.

I shut it off restarted and it stopped blowing gas out. I may have to replace needle and seats a some point. This was a new added issue now. Tomorrow I will make a short video to see where I'm at on the timing advance. Thanks for your help.

Back