Logo

Help identifying Johnson late 70s early 80s Outboard.

tungstenhum

EDIT: I have just discovered that this is a Yamaha upon finding another sneaky logo. This is a truly bizarre find, but maybe we can get to the bottom of it.

Hey, Hoping someone can help ID this mystery Johnson motor. Just got this from a guy on one of the Gulf Islands. It runs great, and has compression of 120 and 115ish. Seems like it's seen some ****, but looks clean on the inside. The throttle cable to tiller spindle plastic bit broke on me first time I had it on the water, but i've been able to 3D print a replacement. Anyone know what year and model it is?

Has a Yamaha Starter and Teiki Carb

SN is 15024 50689 made in Peterborough Canada by Evinrude.
No Model number anywhere.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VAYSGrimPAAyMQ346

More Photos in the link as it's not letting me add anymore.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Well the identification tag might have come from the OMC factory at 910 Monohan rd.----But nothing else.-----Very suspicuious.

Well the identification tag might have come from the OMC factory at 910 Monohan rd.----But nothing else.-----Very suspicuious.

Yes it does seem quite odd. Anything that I could look out for to ID it further? I was trying to find that throttle cable bit of plastic, but apparently all Johnson's had a gear there to the tiller spindle.

Post another 10 pictures of this motor.----Power head / cylinder head / lower unit.------Somebody will identify it.-----I think the only part on it from 910 monoghan rd was the ID tag.

I think you're right. I think someone tried to hide this Yamaha as a Johnson about a decade ago. Anyway, posted more pics in the link in the OP.

Yes, I'm just replying to myself here. But I have discovered that it is a Mariner 25. Yamaha components, but sold under Mariner until it was ruled that this violated competition practices. Just need to know the year now.

Back