Logo

1965 Evinrude 5HP Angler Short Shaft

MNEvinrude

I've got a 1965 Evinrude 5HP Angler Short Shaft, Model 5502. The frost plug says 5502 and the tag says 6602R. The cover says 5HP, so that combined with the lack of gear shift, the throttle on the side, and the frost plug tells me it's a 5HP. Anyway, I'm trying to replace the seal under the impeller. It looks warn, and perished. I was able to get the seal out that the prop shaft goes through, but I can't seem to get the pinion gear off of the shaft. I looked at the wire diagram and it doesn't show any sort of pin holding the pinion gear on, so I am assuming it's corroded, rusted, etc. to the shaft. How can I get that gear off of the shaft? Would heat work? There seems to be a nylon plug on the bottom of the drive shaft, and I'm afraid of melting that. I assume that is there to keep the prop shaft and the drive shaft/pinion gear aligned properly. Also, once I get the pinion gear off and pull the shaft, how do I get that seal under the impeller out? Thanks.

I believe the 6 HP power head is the same.-----Marketed as a 5 hp and no gear shift.----The carburetor bore is the same as the 3 hp model to restrict power of the 6 hp block.----Use a Dremel to weaken the seal so you can pry it out.----The driveshaft should just pull out of the pinion gear.---It is splined.

Last edited:
I can't get the driveshaft to pull out of the pinion gear. It has to be rusted on the gear. I sprayed with PB Blaster. Would an air hammer hurt anything if I used it instead of heat? I picked this motor up for free and the lower unit was dry, so I assume the pinion is rusted or corroded on the shaft.

Back