Logo

Synthetic tc-w3

Saltshaker

Contributing Member
Hello, I got some pennzoil synthetic for my ‘81 35 evinrude. Haven’t used yet. Is this ok to run in the mix? I’ve been using west marine. Thx

[h=1]Pennzoil Marine XLF Extended Life Formula Engine Oil[/h]

You ask 10 people about 2 stroke oil and you get 15 different opinions.-----Mixing gas / oil and 2 stroke lubrication are not well understood.------If it says TCW-3 you are safe to use it.

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking. My mechanic said I should switch to an oil made by an engine company vs WM. Found this on sale At Walmart so bought it and figured I’d run it by the forum before using. It is tc-w3.

If it says TCW-3 you are safe to use it.
Agreed, if they meet TCW3 spec then it's fine. I've used Pennzoil XLF in the past and it worked just fine. I thought I'd see less smoke but it wasn't any different.

I've been running Evinrude Premium 2-stroke oil in my 1979 9.9HP for 5 years and it does great. I have very little smoke and everything seems to run just fine using this oil. Also, this oil is available at Walmart as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evinrude-Johnson-2-Cycle-Marine-Oil/36008461

KJ

I just checked, it does say TC-W3. FYI, it is "Synthetic Blend", not "Full Synthetic". But that's OK. Run it.

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking. My mechanic said I should switch to an oil made by an engine company vs WM. Found this on sale At Walmart so bought it and figured I’d run it by the forum before using. It is tc-w3.

What does your Mechanic know? Always good to ask around until you get the answer you want to hear.

Back