Logo

Yamaha 30hp 1988 sputter issue

Dan8002

Having some issues with my outboard. First of all I do not remember draining the carbs over the winter. I let it sit for 3 months. I took it out for the first time in April and everything ran great. No sputtering or anything that was out of the ordinary during idol to wot. The second time I took it out I noticed the sputtering at about 1/2 throttle. I would give it more gas and the sputtering would go away, but it didn’t seem like it was as powerful as it should be. So here is what I did since

I took apart the carbs and didn’t see any gum or anything out of the ordinary. I sprayed out the jets and visually checked the main jets for clogs and they looked fine. I sprayed down the idol jets and seen flow as well. The carbs had new floats replaced 4 years ago.

I checked the fuel filter and noticed it was pretty dirty with black specs, so I replaced the gas tank hose from tank to outboard and replaced old gas with new. I double checked that the flow was going correct way. I cleaned out the fuel filter. I use v-power nitro from shell.

i took it out and still noticed the same problems, so today I replaced the spark plugs and noticed that it had a little more power, but still sputters. It idols fine, but when I start giving it juice it will bog/sputter a little bit, and when I give it more gas it will clear up but won’t be as powerful as it should be. If I keep it at wot or close to wot for too long it will sputter extremely badly, even when I bring it down to idol speed. I will have to completely decelerate and wait a few seconds to give it more gas or it sounds bad. I checked the battery with a multimeter and everything seems to be fine with that. I took apart the fuel pump and nothing seemed out of the ordinary with the diaphragm and everything seemed clean. Any suggestions

When an outboard does not run properly there are 2 steps to start with.-----Compression test and post the numbers.----Then spark test maximum ignition output.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) , yes or no ?

Back