Logo

1996 Volvo Penta 5.8l Fuel Pump runs hot then engine will not restart

seaglasscg

I am having 2 problems, which I assume are related in some way.

#1. My engine is a rebuilt 5.8l 1996 Ford Volvo Penta. It runs great when it starts, but sometimes it will be running and the hi pressure fuel pump will run hot. When we sit for lunch or to just float for a while (30 mins), the engine will not restart. It seems the hi pressure fuel pump has seized up. Also, the fuel reservoir for the hi pressure fuel pump seems to have air in it. When I check the valve on the reservoir there is air in it, then after turning the key a couple of times to activate the pumps, it fills back up. So I assume the Low Pressure pump is working properly. Unfortunately, but this time the hi pressure pump does nor function. I have two pumps that I switch back and forth when this happens, but I am thinking maybe they are both failing and I am just switching for a momentary working pump. I changed the low pressure pump, the fuel pressure regulator, the filter, the hose to the fuel tank, removed the anti-siphon valve. still the engine will fail from this more often than not.

#2. The engine keeps going into SLOW (limp) mode at 2700 rpms. When I pull the oil switch wire it does not happen. Sometimes it happens on the driveway, and sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it happens in the water. Can this be a bad ground, and can a bad ground be causing my fuel pump issues? I changed the negative ground wire from the battery to the post on the engine, and I just changed the battery.

I would like to change the hi pressure fuel pump (buy a new one) and try it, but concerned a potential ground issue or this SLOW mode will potentially damage the new pump.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I am having 2 problems, which I assume are related in some way.

#1. My engine is a rebuilt 5.8l 1996 Ford Volvo Penta. It runs great when it starts, but sometimes it will be running and the hi pressure fuel pump will run hot. When we sit for lunch or to just float for a while (30 mins), the engine will not restart. It seems the hi pressure fuel pump has seized up. Also, the fuel reservoir for the hi pressure fuel pump seems to have air in it. When I check the valve on the reservoir there is air in it, then after turning the key a couple of times to activate the pumps, it fills back up. So I assume the Low Pressure pump is working properly. Unfortunately, but this time the hi pressure pump does nor function. I have two pumps that I switch back and forth when this happens, but I am thinking maybe they are both failing and I am just switching for a momentary working pump. I changed the low pressure pump, the fuel pressure regulator, the filter, the hose to the fuel tank, removed the anti-siphon valve. still the engine will fail from this more often than not.

#2. The engine keeps going into SLOW (limp) mode at 2700 rpms. When I pull the oil switch wire it does not happen. Sometimes it happens on the driveway, and sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it happens in the water. Can this be a bad ground, and can a bad ground be causing my fuel pump issues? I changed the negative ground wire from the battery to the post on the engine, and I just changed the battery.

I would like to change the hi pressure fuel pump (buy a new one) and try it, but concerned a potential ground issue or this SLOW mode will potentially damage the new pump.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I have the same engine, only difference is mine is a 1995. The oil switch is almost always the cause of limp mode on these. I would definitely check all grounds, but also if the issue is intermittent, check your ECM relay too. I've seen three things cause the pump to run intermittently. 1. Loose battery connections 2. The ECM relay and 3. A faulty kill switch. It's one of those 3. The next time it happens, wiggle that kill switch. People forget about those, and they do go bad.

That fuel reservoir has a float in it. It's good to know it's not sticking. There is a gasket and rebuild kit available, but they aren't made anymore, so they are becoming extremely hard to find. I have a spare kit in my toolbox. (Part No. is 3850374-4 Desc. Seal Kit EFI) It may take a while, but eBay is where you will find one occasionally.

Regarding the hot no start in particular, you also have a TFI (Thick Film Ignition) module on this engine also. I've also seen those go bad. You can pull this off and have it tested at your local auto parts store.

Last edited:
Depending upon how far you want to get into it, you can also check your ECM capacitors. These can leak and cause issues. I didn't have any issues with mine, but took it apart to check the condition of the capacitors and then put it back together when mine all looked good.

Depending upon how far you want to get into it, you can also check your ECM capacitors. These can leak and cause issues. I didn't have any issues with mine, but took it apart to check the condition of the capacitors and then put it back together when mine all looked good.

Awesome information! The hi Pressure Fuel pump is basically dead at this point so I have to change that first, then can check everything else you suggested. Thank you.

Awesome information! The hi Pressure Fuel pump is basically dead at this point so I have to change that first, then can check everything else you suggested. Thank you.

Cool! Let us know what you find. It's nowhere near as fun when these threads don't come to a conclusion.

I should have also mentioned that I've drilled out and sleeved my fuel reservoir as it was pitted badly and also was designed to let water into it though a virtual pin hole. I did this a few seasons ago, and have had no issues since. 20170225_182601.jpg20170226_180750.jpgScreenShot002.jpg20170301_172129.jpg

I should have also mentioned that I've drilled out and sleeved my fuel reservoir as it was pitted badly and also was designed to let water into it though a virtual pin hole. I did this a few seasons ago, and have had no issues since. View attachment 24187View attachment 24188View attachment 24189View attachment 24190

I changed the High Pressure Fuel pump and so far it has been ok. I still have to crank the engine a bit more than usual after we have sat for a while after running. But it has been starting and running well.

I like the idea of creating a better cooling avenue for the fuel reservoir because the fuel lines do seem to get warmer than I would think they should.

Thanks for the help.

Back