Logo

1972 Evinrude 25HP - Need help diagnosing engine/drive problem

scarpozzi

This motor's been sitting since the late 90s. I started working on it in my spare time months ago and finally got the boat in shape to test it out. (had to rebuild the transom and clean it up....new rivets, etc)

BACKGROUND:
We had this engine since the early 90s. It was run a decent amount, but not that much, so it's probably got relatively low, fresh water hours on it.
In 1997, we were going down the lake and I think we hit bottom somewhere. Engine started back up and everything was normal, but as soon as we were underway and trying to get the aluminum v-hull to plane out, the engine would sound like it was jumping into neutral. We didn't have a lot of time to work on it and my dad had heart issues around this time, so it wasn't exactly a priority to fix. The boat sat under a tree for 23 years, along with the poor neglected Evinrude.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
I rebuilt the carborator, fuel pump, new fuel lines, gas tank, new lower seals, new impeller, new oil...etc..primer bulb, cleaned everything...new plugs, new prop. I was able to get it started and running today. The only things I don't have complete are the recirculating hoses (gotta get something to join them since they're different sizes) and the choke solenoid isn't working.

THINGS TO FIX:
Recirculating hose
Solenoid Safety Switch (not making solid enough contact with the shift arm...thinking about putting a few washers behind the mounting plate to give it better contact)
Tune Carburetor and fix miss (possible fuel pump issue?)
Fix mystery issue under load (see below)

I took it to the lake today and I was able to get it fired up and idling. While idling, it would have a hard miss every 45+ seconds....but this got better after the engine warmed up. I only have one hose hooked up on the recirc lines....the one under the carb bowl (because it's a pain to get to). When it would miss, it was like it was pushing pressure through that hose and it would spray fuel. I suppose this would be a backfire if the intake wasn't situated horizontally and was vertical like on other engines.

After letting it warm up for a good while, I decided to untie and put it under load around the ramp area. I still don't trust it enough to really run yet. As soon as I started down the lake, I realized the more throttle I gave it, the more it started to bog down. The fuel pump may not be keeping up with demand? This may go into the fuel miss/backfire issue if the system isn't balanced as it should be.

Now...the REAL problem. I decided to give the engine some fuel and see if I could get my V-hull to plane over. I gave it a slow increase of throttle to get by the bogging down issue and as soon as it started gaining speed, it acted as though it had a spun hub. The engine acted as though it slipped or something. This is a brand new prop and I've had the lower end apart...all the gears and shifter looked good. I'm trying to figure out what else would make it act this way and don't know if something on the powerhead end could be causing it. Give me ideas of what to check and what to look for.

Please share your comments or suggestions if you've seen issues like this on an old Evinrude/Johnson. I need some guidance on things to check. I can provide pictures.

Back