Logo

Mercury Fourstroke 60 ‘BigFoot’ returning to neutral at higher RPM’s

Mikeboats

Hello all,

I’ve got a Mercury ‘Bigfoot’ 60 on my pontoon boat. It starts fine, runs well at lower speeds, but then cuts back to neutral at higher RPM’s (above 4000 or so). The primer bulb becomes partially collapsed (soft) when this happens, and I need to give it a few squeezes to get it going and start the whole routine again.

This has been an issue that has plagued the boat over the past few years. The dealer replaced the low pressure fuel pump 2 years ago, and the high pressure fuel pump last yr. I use high test gas, have replaced filter, checked for faulty/collapsed lines, replaced primer bulb, added fuel stabilizer and probably a few other things I can’t even remember. After the fuel pump replacements by the dealer, the issue stopped for a short period of time, but eventually comes back to haunt me.

The only ‘unique’ things I did before the issue started again was use the engine at low speed for about an hr trolling the night before, and there were small gnats everywhere that night (not sure if those 2 things have any relevance to the issue at all).

I’d love any guidance. Thanks a million!

Back