Logo

EFI 40/60 HP ELPT - problems

pietrovolta

Hi all, greetings from Lake Maggiore - Italy.

I recently bought a old wellcraft 170 (probably one of he the oldest in the world... (2-2-1972)), still good.
It has a mercury EFI 40/60 HP from 2011. The boat was at sea. At home remained stopped 5 months. Now in a Lake.

I have problems when pushing the engine from 3500 to upper values. It goes down after a while then, suddenly, tends to stop. If I push donw the accelerator, the motor works at the minimum. If I repeat these procedures, the threshold where the motor has problems decrease to 3500 to 3000 to 2800. And one day I was not able to start it again. Then I have cleaned the high pressure pump and the gasoline tank. The mechanic pump make some noise, like tic-tac sound (i don't know if is normal). I did not checked candels and filters. Do i need to look at them also ? Or What else to do ?

My impression is that the provision of gasoline has some trouble at higher values. It seems that there is a lack of gasoline , but still i do not know precisely (since it is the first motor I have).

Any suggestion (a part going to a mechanic...)

Thanks!
Pietro

Greetings from Canada,

I’m having the exact same issue with a 2011 Merc EFI 60, so I’m very interested in the answer to this. It usually pulls back to neutral for the first time around 4000rpm, then if I pump the primer bulb I can get it going to 3000 RPM until it happens again, and so on and so forth until it eventually won’t start.

I changed the fuel filter, lines, primer bulb, gas, and it did nothing to help. Last year the same issue occurred and I got the dealer to replace the high pressure and low pressure fuel pumps, and this ‘solved’ the issue for maybe a month. However, it’s back again, so I don’t think that’s the fix (unless the new pumps that were installed are faulty).

I’m starting to think it could be a tank venting issue, but like you would love some advice. It’s very frustrating. Let me know if you get this rectified.

Thanks!

Mike

Greetings from Canada,

I’m having the exact same issue with a 2011 Merc EFI 60, so I’m very interested in the answer to this. It usually pulls back to neutral for the first time around 4000rpm, then if I pump the primer bulb I can get it going to 3000 RPM until it happens again, and so on and so forth until it eventually won’t start.

I changed the fuel filter, lines, primer bulb, gas, and it did nothing to help. Last year the same issue occurred and I got the dealer to replace the high pressure and low pressure fuel pumps, and this ‘solved’ the issue for maybe a month. However, it’s back again, so I don’t think that’s the fix (unless the new pumps that were installed are faulty).

I’m starting to think it could be a tank venting issue, but like you would love some advice. It’s very frustrating. Let me know if you get this rectified.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike. Thanks for answering. I will keep the thread updated. Today i added addictive in the gasoline. After reaching 4500 rpm suddenly stopped. No way to turn it on. I was in the middle of my lake. I was lucky that aftwr 39 minutes two toursist brought me to the harbour . Very frustrating.

Back