Logo

85 mercury black max 150 throttle

Bowhunter3303

I've a night 1885 Mercury black max 150 with a 12 pin connector and I'm trying to find out What I need to get to make a new throttle to work right. I have the old tilt and trim pump. I cannot find a 12pin adapter. Do i need a new pump and what kind of throttle do i need?
Thank you

1985 Merc's did not come with 12 pin harnesses...1978-1979 did..post a pic of motor and trim

You are absolutely right my mistake it's a 78 sorry about that... that made me check the title. Ive had it a while. Finally getting a hull to put it on. But anyways im still have the same problem.

Post a pic of trim pump to see if it has reverse lock solenoid....

https://arcomarine.com/products/6217

it looks like this one with two solenoids on a bracket that attach to the top bolt and goes around the cylinder part of the pump. The bottom is aluminum with hydro hose fittings and a longer solenoid thing on it. I don't know what it does. Ill try and see if i can fin more pictures online if that doesn't help.
Thank you

The pic you sent has the reverse lock... Best thing to do is convert it to a 8 pin harness on motor and use a Mercruiser 2 line pump for trim..just wont have the trim limit switch

Ok so i have a question my engine has a 12 pin harness i remove the 5 wires for the old trim pump and im left with 7. I have a controler that has 11 pins not the normal 8 pin connector. Im pretty sure ive figured out which 3 wires are for trim im setting those aside to convert to a new pump later. So that leaves 8. 8 and 7 with mostly different colors.

I don't know which wires connect to each other

Engine side im left with
Red
Black
Yellow
Brown
White/green
Grey
Orange

Controler side im left with
Red
Black
Tan/blue
Grey
Black/yellow
Yellow/red
Yellow/black
Purple

Engine side ................................Controller side
Red................................................red
Black..............................................black
Yellow............................................yel/red
Brown............................................grey
White/green...................................tan/blue
Grey............................................yel/black
Orange........................................ black/yell

Purple is 12v+ for gauge illumination.You seem to be missing a white from the engine side which is the 12v+,should be from switch-box,bottom terminal,I think,it is colour coded

Purple is 12+ switched for gauges and alarm module on newer motors. Your motor does not use a white. Check the blacks on motor as missing ground thru switch. Should be able to take meter and check black at motor to blk/yel..switch on should be open...switch off should be closed.

Ok i will. So to get the purple power couldnt i just splice it in with the red wire? Ill check the ground.

This is my first time messing around with anytype of watercraft wiring. Is the engine suposed to turn off with key or this red kill switch on my controler.

Thanks for all your help. Id be lost without it.

The purple will have 12V when you turn key ON ..no need to add/splice wires. Yes motor should kill when key off or red toggle flipped down.

Back