Logo

Evinrude 140hp 2 stroke V4 VRO circa 1980? Starts but won't run!

I will attempt to verify exact model.

This motor has been sat a long time.

The cooling system is now ok.

It's got fresh fuel going in, which already has 2 stroke oil in. It's a VRO engine so it will be adding its own too.

It fires on the button but seems to only run a couple of seconds. I have the fast idle set slightly.

It revs to about 2500rpm and then stops dead. Like the ignition has been cut.

Is this likely to be either too much oil in the fuel? (it is smokey)

Fouled plugs due to above?

Or stuck up carbs?

Or something else?

It's currently running without the gearcase on as I am waiting for the water pump parts to arrive.

Video here:

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Simply put " too much oil " does not stop a motor.----It would still " run " with a 15:1 ratio !-----I would begin the evaluation of this motor with a compression test and post your numbers.-----Yes after sitting for many years you have to confirm that carburetors and metering circuits are CLEAN.----You say that the VRO " will be adding it's own oil " but how do you know that ?----How did you confirm that this unit is in working condition and ready to add oil.----For all you know the filter in the oil tank could be plugged !!!

Simply put " too much oil " does not stop a motor.----It would still " run " with a 15:1 ratio !-----I would begin the evaluation of this motor with a compression test and post your numbers.-----Yes after sitting for many years you have to confirm that carburetors and metering circuits are CLEAN.----You say that the VRO " will be adding it's own oil " but how do you know that ?----How did you confirm that this unit is in working condition and ready to add oil.----For all you know the filter in the oil tank could be plugged !!!

Thanks RacerOne. So in answer to above, no idea is the VRO is actually working. I have seen the test proceedure for that but it seems to assume the engine will actually run.

I know that I need to make sure the entire fuel system is clean, but I was hoping to no have to strip and clean the whole fuel system just yet!

Do you think stuck carb floats might cause this issue?

Not sure that the VRO can stop the motor if it thinks there's no oil, but it should sound the buzzer if thats the case. My understanding is that the pump is 'powered' by crankcase pressure but I don't really understand exactly how it works.

It is possible that the motor is running initally because the start up fuel solenoid is putting fuel straight in and there is nothing coming in via the carbs due to stuck floats?

Had a quick look in the air box.

It all looks very clean and tidy in there. In fact it looks brand new.

There is a LOT of 2 stroke oil in there though.

I had a quick check of the float bowl drains and all had oil in.

So I am thinking that I just need to drain this all off and get some clean fuel in there. The fuel is clean up to the VRO.

20200705_163601 (Medium).jpg20200705_163607 (Medium).jpg

Re: Evinrude 140hp 2 stroke V4 VRO circa 1980 BE140TLCEB Starts but won't run!

Had a quick look in the air box.

It all looks very clean and tidy in there. In fact it looks brand new.

There is a LOT of 2 stroke oil in there though.

I had a quick check of the float bowl drains and all had oil in.

So I am thinking that I just need to drain this all off and get some clean fuel in there. The fuel is clean up to the VRO.

View attachment 24093View attachment 24094

Oh and the motor is a BE140TLCEB, if that helps!

Last edited:
There lots of possibilities,do you want to troubleshoot your issue or just give you possibilities?

Just hoping for someone to say "oh, that's the doofer valve, they all do that... take this pipe off, blow up it and she'll be cushty"

Otherwise I will start working my way through the fuel system, step at a time! It's a complex system!

First candidate is the VRO as it's where the fuel comes to first and also the thing I know least about (other than they can be problematic).

If that appears to be working, I'll start looking at cleaning all the carbs.

I would certainly like to know more about the VRO and how it works though.

Success! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Take a look at what came out of the float bowls!

20200706_122756 (Medium).jpg

Old oil from the fuel lines and VRO I guess.

Now it starts on the button and runs for as long as my neighbours can stand it!

I have no idea if this motor is running right, it was 6 years since it last ran.

What do you think? Sounds a bit uneven? Or is this normal for this motor, of this age (30 years old)?

Remember its running on a (at least) double dose of oil.

Idles at 1300rpm.

The valve if top of cap gets hard and doesn't vent correctly. Pressure builds in oil tank due to outside temp and pushes oil thru VRO filling carbs..

Back