Logo

Literally no clue what could possibly be wrong with my outboard

MittyB

Evinrude 60 Hp two stroke 1982 two cylinder

Looking for some help or diagnostic because I am completely and utterly stumped by the bloody thing.

Symptoms :
Wasn’t running at first but now at home can but seems to be almost sneezing and spluttering and violently shaking possibly backfiring not sure of that term though

First off I was out on the water after not using the boat for 2 weeks and just off the boat ramp it died. Yeah I could start at really high revs but almost is if there’s someone pushing against me and lowering the throttle. Put it in toward to try and get back to boat ramp died immediately. After this I went home (from a friend that towed me) and took off the carbs, for its age they were immaculate not a bit of gunk, anyway reconditioned them and back on. After this ordered a replacement kit like gasket and diaphragm for the fuel pump reconditioned that and back on. All new fuel hoses from the inlet on the outboard to the carbs ( so all of the hoses ). After this still dying have since cleaned up everything on the starboard side in terms of linkages and stuff like the throttle and all carb linkages and what not. All seems yes is probably a little off but seems like the are synced enough. Not the spark plugs they are working fine, so I then ran it on either plug so when taking top plug lead off so running on the bottom cylinder it would go chuck chuck chuck and stop so died, when taking off the bottom plug lead so running on the top cylinder it would still chuckle around and what not but decent revs and seemed alright. I then swapped the plug cords around to test those nope same results so not the plugs or cords but maybe something linked to them.

But the strange thing is compression for its ages is great 140 on each cylinder.

Not sure if timing has something to do with it or not. Bottom leg has been dropped and replaced water pump kit also. Other than that can’t see any obvious signs of damage or missing things which is why I’m so confused as what is wrong anyway anyone please help greatly appreciate all support.

It is possible that the flywheel key is sheared.----That would change timing.-----You can not find a sheared key by simply looking at it !----Take out top sparkplug.----Turn flywheel to put top piston at TDC.----Check timing pointer.

It is possible that the flywheel key is sheared.----That would change timing.-----You can not find a sheared key by simply looking at it !----Take out top sparkplug.----Turn flywheel to put top piston at TDC.----Check timing pointer.

so I put the pointer at tdc and then crank it over? Or what’s the timing pointer?

I am not saying that your flywheel key is sheared.---But you are trouble shooting and need to check for that.--If the above procedure is confusing , just pull the flywheel off to check the key.-----Looked at a motor last year and after getting the verbal history on the boat / situation etc , I told owner that the key was likely sheared.-----Sure enuff it was.---Club fisted mechanic had even greased the tapers when flywheel was installed.

I am not saying that your flywheel key is sheared.---But you are trouble shooting and need to check for that.--If the above procedure is confusing , just pull the flywheel off to check the key.-----Looked at a motor last year and after getting the verbal history on the boat / situation etc , I told owner that the key was likely sheared.-----Sure enuff it was.---Club fisted mechanic had even greased the tapers when flywheel was installed.

Yep I will do that, my son sacked grease on everywhere I mean everywhere do you think that grease could have made its way into something it shouldn’t have like up under the flywheel or something and this is the problem?

Yep compression is good and just took off the reed valves and all good there other than the gasket but that’s because I had to pry it off

Back