Logo

Really weird problems 1982 2 stroke 60hp Evinrude

MittyB

In my other posts I’ve been trying to diagnose a backfireong spluttering noise and a very violent shake just a bit so happy outboard. At first it would start as I manually put the revs with my hand on the throttle inside the motor when we were out on the water to as high as they go and it would kick over but just die. Now after reconditioned the carbs fuel pump and had a look over of the other parts i got it to start at home but still doing it just not dying . This is what I’ve found pls help or ask questions

the thing is nothing , all in immaculate condition and no faults only thing I can see is on the throttle part where the is a spring so as you increase throttle the spring carry’s the timing that is connected to the stator along, this has two scenarios one where you increase throttle and the timing stays in position and then at a certain amount of throttle it jumps over or catches up as such or scenario two it is as such connected to or follows the throttle in sync so as increasing throttle it slowly increases with it until at max the thing is I’m not sure which one is correct so I don’t know how to fix it if anyone knows which one it should be doing would be great.

My guess is at this point I need to do a full synchronisation of the ignition and fuel and timing systems as it has never beee done by me while I have had it and I suspect previous owner, I have checked plugs and they are sparking but not sure top cylinder might not be getting as much fuel or is that just a common occurrence as it is at the top and not laying in excess fuel like The bottom one , I also bought new spark plugs to test them but not really liking them it has started with them but only when the engine was really hot I think it just doesn’t like new plugs but I looked online and the plugs that were in there weren’t the recommended ones by the Manuel if it is running on them though should I still change them or just stick with it

Last edited:
If the timer base is jumping to catch up that needs to be addressed. It should move smoothly with the throttle until it hits the max timing stop. That carbs should keep moving after the timer hits the stop.

If the timer base is jumping to catch up that needs to be addressed. It should move smoothly with the throttle until it hits the max timing stop. That carbs should keep moving after the timer hits the stop.

yep ok, I suspected it should of moved it seems to kind of be as such sticky or stuck to the lowest position then you touch it and it flings over and catches up but overall the engine does seem like some sort of timing is off but I can’t find anything on what I am meant to have all of the screws set to like idle screw and timing max and what not if you know pls let me know

If the timer base is sticking then the link and sync is off and the carbs and timing no longer work together. That needs to be cleaned that should move as fast as the throttle moves. The max timing screw should NEVER be touched!! You may want to buy a factory manual for your motor, it will answer all your questions.

Looked for a sheared flywheel key ??---Might as well as it costs no money.----A sheared key changes the timing.

Looked for a sheared flywheel key ??---Might as well as it costs no money.----A sheared key changes the timing.

I took off the flywheel nut like 3 days ago not looking for that inparticular but I did notice and went oh there’s a key that holds it in place and it was there and intact

Back