Logo

Starting Issues

OCady

Hello all. Hopefully you can help. I have a 2003 2 stroke Johnson 115 HP. Was out fishing and just wound't restart. The starter would spine but not fast enough to make the Pinion Shaft Assembly lift up and turn the Flywheel Assembly. I have replaced the starter and determined the Pinion Shaft Assembly isn't the issue by using a friends new one with the same part. When turning it over the starter does not turn fast enough to make the Pinion Shaft Assembly lift. I have manually put the Pinion Shaft Assembly up to the Flywheel Assembly and it does not have enough power to turn. Please help. I really thought this could be a DYI.

Battery state of charge too low ?

Battery defunct?

Bad electrical connection ?

Clean and remake all the main battery wiring connections , not forgetting the negative.

Recharge the battery using a good automatic charge with an adequate current output capability.

Allow the battery to stand for at least 12 hours with no load or further charging. Check the volts. A good fully charged battery should read about 12.7, or more.

Get battery properly tested

Try a known good battery

Be careful when connecting batteries not to get the polarity reversed, even for a split second or you will fry the rectifier.

Check that your motor is charging the battery when running

New battery, new starter solenoid also installed. Cleaned all batter connections. connected a jumper cable from battery to motor and same thing.

I put the battery on a charger last night and it was already fully charged. I bought the battery three weeks ago. Already cleaned all electrical connectors. Motor isn't running because I can't start it.

Back